Chapter 20 | The 4 Clover Country Club

Start from the beginning

"Still prettier than you." I snort, looking out the window.

Falcon shoots me a look. "Pheonix, I mean it. Cut it out."

I raise my hands in surrender. "Fine. I'll stop, but only for one thing."

He stares at me before scoffing and shaking his head. "Fine, what is it?"

Pleased with my outcome, I smile. "Are there any other cases around the town?"

"Why? You aren't trying to be a detective now, are you?" He cocks a brow, mockery on his smug face. I shrug.

"You shouldn't. It doesn't suit you." He says cockily, "mainly cause you'd never be as good as me."

"You give yourself too much credit for a newbie. Humble yourself."

Falcon laughs. "Says the girl who said she was prettier than me."

"You're not denying it though."

•••

At school, I go to my locker to sort out my stuff, also fixing a reminder about work at the bookstore this afternoon. Aside from almost being hit, I can honestly say this morning's jog went well. I feel much better than usual.

But then again, that car...

I press my lips together and shut my locker door. After hearing it click indicating that it's locked, I head off to my first class.

The day goes by quickly and at lunchtime I get my lunch from the cafeteria and dunk everything down before spending the rest of the time in the art room.

At the end of the school day, I head to the locker to get a few of my books and leave. Just when I reach the bus stop, I get a message from Mr Stone that I don't need to head to work today.

It's disappointing because I actually had something to do at the bookstore, but I get over that quickly.

Feeling a sense of obligation to rearrange the contents of my locker thanks to the sudden change of plans, I go back to school and eventually end up in the art room, working on my donation painting again.

Not long after, I'm once again walking across the car park in the direction of home.

I sense the presence of someone else and look over my shoulder to see Jake making his way over to his car. His curly golden locks are a little damp so I assume he's just finished his swim training. In his hand is a sports bag.

The moment he spots me, there's a tug at his lips. "Hey."

"Hello." I reply with a nod.

"Done with a club?"

"A club?" I furrow my eyebrows slightly before stupidly realizing that he's wondering why I'm still at school. "Yeah. I guess you could say that."

My eyes drop to his sports bag, "I'm assuming you've just finished from... the pottery class?"

He shrugs with a lazy smile, "I guess you could say that."