Chapter 18 | Drop It

Start from the beginning

My sensitive ears pick up a certain someone's footsteps, which I am ashamed to admit I recognize, and I shift my sight to witness the hallways parting as Declan and Malissa walk towards his locker.

I roll my eyes and shut my locker. But when I turn to walk away, I bump into an overly excited Delilah.

Oh no.

"Blair, let's go!" She says with a bright smile. I can even see sparkles in her eyes. How is that possible!?

"Where to?"

"I'm taking you to Stone's today. It is my last duty to show you around the place." She explains proudly.

My eyebrows knit in confusion and a little apprehension. "But why?"

"There's no time for whys. We have to go!" She tells me, trying to force me to go with her. I'm about to protest when I feel a presence behind me and hear the click of the locker next to mine opening.

I scowl and let Delilah pull me away to the parking lot.

Some minutes later we walk through the doors of Stone's Bookstore. Entering it the second time, I once again smell the intoxicating smell of fine print and scan the store properly.

The interior has a nice color scheme of reddish-maroon, yellow and grey and there are dozens of shelves filled with books. There's a wooden staircase along the wall to the second floor that's cross-section is a book shelf too.

On the first floor is a cozy lounge for reading and from what I remember yesterday, there's also another nice little nook on the second floor.

It gives an antique book shop vibe with a Griffindore style to it, which makes me wonder if Mr Stone is a Potterhead.

I cannot say I am one, but I have watched all the Harry Potter movies and read the books so I am aware of the references.

Standing behind the register counter is a familiar face that leaves me pleasantly surprised. Delilah's shy biology partner, Charlie, is busy dealing with a customer, his alluring blue and brown eyes concentrated on the monitor screen.

Delilah greets him loudly, making him snap his head up to greet her back quietly. When his eyes meet mine, he gives me a slight acknowledging nod which I return.

Delilah opens a door that says 'staff only' and we head inside. The first thing I see is a small resting lounge with two couches, a coffee table in the center and a mini kitchen. There's another door that says 'Mr Stone' and when Delilah calls, a voice replies from inside.

"I'll be out in a minute Delilah. Go ahead and show Blair around." The old man says.

"Okay then." Delilah replies and leads me back out.

She gives a tour of the store and informs me of my responsibilities. Although we do have an accident, which fricking hurt, I push it aside and continue on. By the time she finishes, I have an adequate understanding of the way things work here.

"Also, you'll have a similar shift with Charlie." She tells me.

I sneeze and then scowl, grabbing my handkerchief to blow my nose.