Chapter 22

Foxpaw, still energized after being up all night, shifted restlessly in his nest. His mind wouldn't stop racing after he and his Clanmates had returned from the Gathering. Maybe he'd be chosen for the scout team? That would be so much fun! He somehow doubted that Stonestar would want to put an apprentice on such an important mission. Having a little hope didn't hurt though, did it?

Lilacpaw growled, "Quiet down, will you?" She was settled in a nest not far from his, curled in a tight ball to block out the chill.

"What?" He knew the words sounded dumb, and Lilacpaw seemed to think so too.

"You're squirming like a newborn kit," his sister said with a scoff.

"Aren't you excited for tomorrow though?" he asked quietly.

"Yeah, I'm excited to be fully rested because my annoying brother wasn't keeping me awake!"

"Oh," Foxpaw tried to stay still, but he couldn't get very comfortable. His mind was still spinning from the Gathering's events. His first, and he thought it would be the best one he ever went to. I wonder if that had ever happened before? Maybe he was the first. How cool would that be?

Sighing quietly, he rose from his nest and tiptoed to the den entrance, gazing up at the full moon, still glowing strongly, and watching as misty clouds drifted over it. The stars glimmered above, pinpricks of light against the dark backdrop. What a beautiful night it was, and what an exciting day it would be tomorrow, even if he didn't get onto the scout patrol.

***

Foxpaw started awake as someone nudged him with paw. "Get up!" his sister hissed. "Stonestar's calling a meeting."

He leapt to his paws. "Oh! He's choosing cats for the patrol!"

Lilacpaw rolled her eyes. "Yes, now come on." He hurried after her and sat down beside her and their mentors among the gathered cats.

"Today," Stonestar began. "I shall pick the cats to go on a special scouting mission with cats from the other Clans to spy on these rogues and gather information. The cats I have chosen I feel will be best suited for this mission. They are Griffinwing and Lilacpaw. Go to the medicine to get your traveling herbs—you will leave shortly." He dismissed the meeting quickly, leaving No from for protest, and jumped down.

Foxpaw looked at his sister, her face a mixture excitement, worry, wonder, and her ever present calmness.

"Oh, wow," he said, trying to hide his dismay. "You're going to have so much fun."

Before Lilacpaw could reply, Griffinwing said, "Come on, we must not dally." And she led Lilacpaw toward the medicine den.

"Don't be too sad," Burrowpelt reassured him. "You'll get to go on your own fun adventures without Lilacpaw too."

"But I want to go on them with Lilacpaw," he said, watching as his sister collected her herbs and nodded her head to whatever Griffinwing was saying.

"You'll get to do that too," Burrowpelt said. "In fact, you'll probably be on the battle patrol when we go to drive those rogues away, right next to Lilacpaw."

"Right," Foxpaw murmured. We can't do everything together, he thought. We aren't kits anymore, so I should better stop acting like it.

***

Foxpaw was having a hard time focusing on his moves. His mind was on Lilacpaw, of course, and what she was doing without him. Probably lots of of fun things. She probably isn't thinking about me at all.

Burrowpelt swept his paws out from under him with her back leg. He landed with a yelp and she pinned him. "Pay attention," she said. "I know your mind is elsewhere, but you have to focus to do well in battle."

"Of course, Burrowpelt," he said, standing up again and readying his stance. He breathed in and out, paying attention solely to what was in front of him, clearing his mind of distracting thoughts.

Burrowpelt leaped at him again, and he dodged her attack, landing a blow to her side as she rolled onto the ground.

"Much better," she grunted. She swiped. He dodged.

Foxpaw decided to try one of the harder moves Burrowpelt had taught him. He wasn't perfect at it, but he was certain he could manage this time.

He took a step back and sprang forward, landing squarely on Burrowpelt's back, catching her by surprise. He gripped on as tightly as he could without unsheathe going his claws as she rocked back and forth, trying to shake him off. When's he finally did dislodge him, he landed neatly in a roll and sprang up again, ready for her next attack.

"Very good!" Burrowpelt praised. He didn't get a chance to rest though, because she jumped forward and he ducked under her. When she landed however, she caught his tail under her back paw and held on. He landed with a thud, his chin smarting.

His mentor let go of his tail. "You'll have to work on that," she said. "But I'm very impressed."

"Me too," Sparrowfeather said. Foxpaw had forgotten he was there. "We should probably get back to camp, the patrol should be returning soon.

Burrowpelt nodded and led the way back to camp. Upon arrival, they were greeted by shouts of concern and panic.

"Starfur's kits are coming!"