Chapter 17

Foxkit bounced on his paws, waiting in anticipation as the sun began to rise above the camp. It was his and Lilackit's apprenticeship day! His sister sat by his side, meticulously grooming her pale gray fur. She had insisted he do his as well, but he had rolled his eyes and told her he looked fine. It wasn't like Phoenixwing could yell at him for it.

      Aster was waiting with them. After they explained to him what being apprentices meant, he also shared their excitement.

      Eventually, Stonestar came out of his den and jumped onto the Echostone and called out the familiar summons, "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey, gather around the Echostone to hear my words!"

      The warriors emerged from their dens, and the medicine cats from theirs, and Foxkit could even see his mother waiting by them, her face lit up with pride, despite still recovering from flamecough.

      "Come on, you two," Aster said, rising to his paws and leading the way toward the Echostone. Foxkit followed enthusiastically behind him, with Lilackit walking calmly by his side, but her relaxed face didn't quite hid her excitement.

      "Today is a very special day in the lives of two young cats," Stonestar said, glancing down at them. "Today is the apprenticeship of Foxkit and Lilackit." He leapt down to stand in front of the two kits, and beckoned Lilackit forward.

      "Lilackit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Lilacpaw. Your mentor will be Griffinwing. I hope she will pass down all she knows on to you."

       Griffinwing, a slender brown she-cat with burning green eyes and patterns on her back that appeared like wings, stepped forward to stand in front of the newly named Lilacpaw.

      "Griffinwing, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Glarespot, and you have shown yourself to be brave and skilled in battle, and I expect you to pass on all you know to Lilacpaw."

      The two touched noses and then Stonestar called upon Foxkit.

      "Foxkit," he began and Foxkit straightened up, his fur prickling with excitement. "You have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Foxpaw."

      The leader called forward his daughter, Burrowpelt. The smiling she-cat came up to him from the crowd, her green eyes sparkling, reflecting Foxpaw's own excitement.

      "Burrowpelt, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Darkmoon, and you have shown yourself to be determined and independent, and I expect you to pass on all you know to Foxpaw."

      "I'll do my best," Burrowpelt whispered, leaning down to touch noses with him. He felt a surge of electric happiness. I'm an apprentice.

      Cheers erupted around them; "Lilacpaw, Foxpaw! Lilacpaw, Foxpaw!"

      And Foxpaw thought that was the happiest moment of his life.

***

"Are you ready?" Burrowpelt asked. "We're going to go see the territory now."

      After the ceremony, his new mentor had told him to go to talk to his parents for a bit and then come back and eat something. Now it was the time he'd been waiting for; seeing everything outside the camp walls. Well, for real this time since he and Lilacpaw had gone down to BrookClan territory when they were a lot younger, but he didn't really remember much of that now.