Chapter 11

Maybe it wasn't the best idea to make a promise with a mysterious cat who's name was Viperfang. Lilackit realized that now.

But it was too late to go back on anything. They had held up to their end of the bargain, now they had to sit and wait for Viperfang to hold up to hers. Unfortunately, Lilackit had the sinking feeling that she wasn't.

Foxkit didn't seem that worried. He had faith that StarClan would send their father to them, somehow. Lilackit thought that was wishful thinking, and her brother agreed. "Maybe one day our wishes will come true," he said.

But, that morning, Lilackit realized she'd have to apologize to him for thinking he was a little silly in the head. Because that morning, that wish did come true.

"Stonestar!" One of the warriors called. "We got someone here who wants to talk to you."

Interest piqued, Lilackit scrambled up and peered out of the den entrance, wondering who this someone was. It was a tabby gray tom with blue eyes. But there was something about those eyes that reminded Lilackit of her own.

Don't get your hopes up, you'll only be disappointed, she reminded herself. But she couldn't tear her eyes away from the stranger. That's him. I know it.

Stonestar emerged from his den and walked up to the strange cat. "Who are you? And what business do you have with EchoClan?" he asked. Lilackit realized he thought the stranger was one of the rogue cats who'd been causing trouble.

The stranger dipped his head. "My name is Aster," he said. "I come to warn you of some strange cats who might come here."

"Oh, don't worry, we've already met these strange cats," Stonestar replied coldly. "Your warning is a bit late I'm afraid."

"Oh, I got lost on the way here again," Aster said with a shrug.

"Again?" Stonestar narrowed his eyes.

"Haven't been here in awhile, but yeah, again," Aster replied nonchalantly, seemingly unaware of Stonestar's hostility.

"When did you last come here?" Darkmoon asked. Lilackit hadn't realized he was there.

Aster tilted his head, remembering. "Oh, probably five moons ago now," he said.

Five moons ago? Lilackit and Foxkit were almost six moons.

"Well, if that's all—" Stonestar began.

"Actually," Aster interrupted "While I'm here, I might as well see Phoenixwing, see how she's doing."

Silence met his words, and Lilackit felt her breath catch in her throat. He knows our mother.

"Phoenixwing isn't feeling well," Stonestar said after a few moments. She could see him struggling to stay composed as more and more cats sat and stared at the ongoings.

Aster looked disappointed. "Are cats already getting sick then?"

"I—How do you know?" Stonestar demanded.

"I saw those bad cats talking about poisoning the Clans with firenettle leaves," Aster said, still quite calm under the leader's scrutiny.

"And you know about the Clans and Phoenixwing how?" Darkmoon asked, and at the same time Stonestar said, "You know what's wrong with the sick cats?"

Aster smiled a little. "Yes, firenettle poisoning results in flamecough, and Phoenixwing is my mate, or, used to be. She stopped visiting me when she had her kits. Speaking of which, can I see them?"

Stonestar ignored his question. "How do we cure this flamecough?"

"Oh, well, there's this plant called a sunflower, it grows in my housefolk's garden—"

"Can you get us some?"

"Yeah sure. Can I see Phoenixwing and the kits?"

Stonestar seemed to realize what that meant. "Well yes, you can. But after words, you will take some cats and fetch some of the sunflower—"

"Just the seeds actually."

"—and we can cure the sick cats. Perfect. Starfur!"

The golden she-cat padded forward from her den where she had been listening. "Yes, Stonestar?"

"Take Aster to see the kits, and then Darkmoon will take him, Dandelionpaw, and another warrior to get the sunflower," he said, sounding pleased for the first time that morning.

Starfur nodded. "Of course. Come on, Aster." And she started heading toward the elders' den with the tabby tom. Mutters followed them as cats questioned wether or not it was against the code to have kits with someone who wasn't from EchoClan, but not from the other Clans either.

Lilackit hurried over to her brother and knocked him in the ribs with her paw. He started awake. "Ow!"

"Wake up!" she hissed. "We're going to meet our father."

"What?"

"Our. Father. Is. Coming. Right. NOW," Lilackit enunciated slowly. "Try not to be so dim, it's embarrassing." She sat up straight and waited patiently. He brother seemed to realize she was serious and sat up straighter too.

Starfur poked her head in. "Oh," she said, spotting them. "You're awake, good." She smiled. "I'd like to introduce you to Aster, your father." She swept to the side to let the tabby tom enter and his eyes lit up at the sight of them.

"Oh, you look just like Phoenixwing," he told Foxkit. "Her eyes and everything." He stared for awhile before looking at Lilackit, to which he said with a purr. "Oh, and you look like me! Isn't that lovely?"

"You're really our dad?" Foxkit asked in disbelief.

"Are you Phoenixwing kits?" He didn't wait for them to answer. "Of course I am." He gave them a big smile and licked both their foreheads. "I'm so glad to finally meet you both."

Lilackit felt her heart swell. Thank you, Viperfang. This is the best day ever.