Three: Rumors

"It's fine." I said, as I stood up. Hizashi and I made eye contact. I got lost in his emerald green eyes. I realized I was staring at him, my face heated up and I looked away. "Alright, let's head back to your house." I said, to break the silence. Hizashi nodded and we went to the locker rooms to change back into our normal uniforms and then we went back to Hizashi's house. "Hey Shota come check this out!" Hizashi yelled. I was looking at a missing cat poster. "Poor cat. Wonder how far he's wandered." I mumbled. "Shota!" Hizashi repeated. I smiled at the picture of the cat. "SHOTA STOP FANGIRLING OVER THAT CAT!" Yamada yelled. I turned around and ran up to him.
My knees weakened. It was a missing poster of me! "Those assholes!" I said, and tried to run to my house, but Hizashi restrained me and I couldn't move. He pinned me against a wall. My face flushed with a bright red. "Shota calm down!" Hizashi yelled. I looked away from him. "You don't understand, Hizashi!" I finished with tears spilling out of my eyes. Hizashi had worry planted in his eyes. I slid my back down the wall and buried my face in my knees. He sat in front of me and lifted my chin up with his finger. I refused to look at him. He tucked my hair behind my ear and leaned closer to me.
"That's true, I don't understand. But it won't help for you to get mad at it, Sho." Hizashi said, and he pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around him and smiled. I pulled away from him and laughed nervously. This was embarrassing, and I could feel my face becoming red. I was suddenly feeling nauseous. "Zashi, let's.. let's go. I'm feeling nauseous. And it's kind of cold..." I said as I stood up.
My legs were shaking. "Shota you don't look well, and you're kind of shaking. Here, take this." Hizashi said as he reached into his bag to grab his jacket. He gave it to me and I put it on. I zipped the jacket and that was the last thing I did before I blacked out completely.

(Yamada's POV)

I gave Shota my jacket. It's dark green with fake fur on the end of the hood. He zipped it halfway before he passed out. I caught him right before he could hit the ground. "Oh Shota. What am I gonna do with you?" I said to myself as I lifted his legs off the ground. I started walking home with Shota unconscious in my arms.
I opened the front door to my house and ran into the kitchen. "Mom!" I yelled and put Shota on a dining chair. I opened the door that lead to the garage. "Yes Hizashi?" My mom asked. I grabbed her hand and dragged her out to the kitchen. "What happened to Shota? He looks ill." She said as she grabbed the thermometer from a drawer. She stuck it under Shota's tongue and pressed the button to turn it on.
"His temperature is 100.6, he's got a fever. Did he tell you anything before he went unconscious?" My mom asked as she took the thermometer out of Shota's mouth and turned it off. I thought for a second. "He said he was nauseous, and then he passed out." I explained. My mom sighed, and smiled. "He might have a flu." She said, and put the thermometer away.
"Now that I think about it.. I haven't seen him eat in a while. Maybe he's starved? I mean, he does look more pale than usual. And he's been passing out a lot lately. It has to be starvation." I muttered.
I'm such an idiot. Why didn't I do something before if I knew he wasn't eating? I'm such a bad friend. I don't deserve to be his friend. Much less do I have the right to live with him. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.
I sighed as I tried to stop myself from crying. I couldn't help Shota. It's my fault he's always passing out. It's all my fault. "I-I'll take him up to my room and try to wake him up. Can you make something for him to eat? Please?" I begged. I couldn't stand seeing Shota suffer.
I picked him up and brought him up to my room and lied him on my bed. He looked so peaceful as he slept. I leaned closer to him, not even knowing. "Z... Zashi?" I heard him say. "AH!!!! I... Uh! I didn't know that you were awake!" I screamed, as I realized what I was doing. Luckily, his eyes weren't open. He opened his beautiful cloudy eyes and covered his ears.
"So.. loud, Zashi.." He whined, I covered my mouth. "Sorry..." I whispered. He smiled weakly at me and I sat on the bed beside him. That was when my mom walked in. "Shota.. why don't you have this soup I made for you?" She said, as she handed Shota a bowl of Shabu-Shabu.
(A/N: Shabu-shabu is a hotpot dish with thinly sliced meat and vegetables boiled in water served with dipping sauces.)
Shota ate the soup in no more and no less than 5 minutes. "Wow, Sho. Were you hungry?" I said, trying to hide my shame. He frowned. "I guess. It was delicious. Thank you, Mrs. Yamada." Shota praised.
This boy is so cute. He's like a cat. I smiled without even knowing. "Thank you, Shota! I'll take that bowl off your hands." My mom said and took the bowl from Shota. He pulled the blanket over his head and curled into a ball.
He poked his head out from under the blanket and looked at me. "Zashi..." He mumbled. I looked at him and pulled him into a hug. He sat on my lap, facing me and wrapped his arms and legs around me. He buried his face in my chest and I could feel his heart beating. It was beating at a normal rate, but his breathing was shaky, and short. Soon, we fell asleep. One later than the other.