Chapter 6 ➼︎ Amy's Party!

Start from the beginning

In the back yard. John comes with some of his friends. Laurie comes with him. Jo keeps her distance from him. Jo looked like she wanted to greet Laurie. Say something but both of them held back.

•✿︎︎•

"I seated you beside John and Laurie. I could not sit him beside Jo" Amy whispers to me. 'I hope you do not mind" she tells me.

"I do not mind the lightest" I tell her.

She nods. Then she leads the girls in activities. They do some art work out where Amy planned on going in the back yard. I sit watching because I was not good at drawing. I had my poetry book with me. Laurie comes and sits beside me.

"These parties are dreadfully boring" he sighs.

"Shhh, Amy will hear you" I hush him.

"What are you working on? Art?" he wonders. "you write to? Another Jo in the family?"

"No, I am not another Jo. I am me. And I write. But I write poetry. Not silly stories" I mutter as I close my notebook.

"Let me see" he begs me as he tries to get my notebook.

"No some things are private" I mention. "or for someone close to read them. You are neither" I tease.

"Oh, I am hurt. I am not close? Or family?" he jokes. "Let me see just one poem"

He kept begging me. Jo curiously glances over at us. I flip through my notes. I find a book about the nature of boys. How they were a waist of woman's time. That would teach him a lesson for being nosey. I wrote this when I was mad at him the other day.

•✿︎︎•

"Boys are a waste of time?" he scoffs. He looks mortified.

"You wanted to read my work" I laugh as I grab my notes back from him.

"I am not a waste of your time" he softly retorts looking hurt.

"Are you not?" I challenge.

"No" he answers with a cheeky grin.

"Give me an example of how you are not?" I ask.

"These things take time. But I shall prove it to you" answers Laurie.

"Alright then" I giggle.

"Dinner is ready everyone! Please come eat with me" Amy calls out. "Please take your seats where your name tag reads at the seat" she mentions.

We all head to the dinner table. Jo stops me for a moment.

•✿︎︎•

"How is Teddy?" she whispers to me.

"He seems well" I say.

She nods then smiles. "I would talk to him. But I do not want to ruin Amy's party"

"Best to leave things as they are now" I agree with her. She nods.

"Another time another place" she sighs. "our dear boy will forgive me one day" she vows.

"Yes one day" I say with her.

We go sit down. Amy did wonderful with the dinner party. Aunt March would be so pleased with our Amy. Amy looked so happy joking and smiling with everyone.

Laurie hung back rather shyly. Jo kept stealing glances our way. I felt bad for both of them. I hoped one day they could be friends like they once were. Romance could ruin that between a people.