Chapter 5 ➼︎ Artistic Attempts!

Start from the beginning

•✿︎︎•

"Marmee!" Amy calls as she comes into the house. "Where is Marmee?" she asks me when she sees me.

"Out in the garden with Hannah. Why?" I ask.

"I am going to be leaving soon. I wanted to host a party here with my friends I made at home. One last get together. We were school chums. I plan on paying for things myself. I'm hoping for a lunch here tomorrow for my party. But I need to ask Marmee. You see some of the girls loved my artwork and they wanted to come over and paint the river that I had. I told them that would be a fine idea" she rambles on. "I will be staying overseas this time with aunt March now that we got you home. I did not have time for, a party before because she was worried about getting you home. Now that you have gotten here, I still want to have a party"

"I do not see why not if you are planning on paying for it yourself" I point out. She nods.

"I shall miss you when I am away. I will be sure to send you all postcards whenever I can" she promises me. "I shall miss this place. I know it" she sighs as she looks around the home.

"Hello, Miss Amy" greets Hannah as she and my aunt come in the house.

"Amy dear!" says my aunt. They hug. 

"Marmee I wish to ask you of a favor" says Amy. She tells my aunt what she told me. 

"I think that is fine but we could pay for it" offers my aunt.

"No, I want everything a certain way. I shall pay for it" offers Amy sternly. "Do you think Laurie would come to say goodbye to me? I want him at my party" she worries.

"I do not see why not" says my aunt.

"I am not so sure that is a wise idea" I worry.

Jo overheard us speaking. "It is all my fault. Teddy can come if he wishes" she states. "Fiona, may I speak with you privately please" she asks of me.

I nod. I follow her outside while Amy made plans for her going away party. We sit down outside.

•✿︎︎•

"What is on your mind Jo?" I ask.

She folds her hands in her lap as she looks up at the sky. 

"I have no right to go demand that Teddy comes to see off Amy. That is her wish though. I would like for him to attend. We all would. Can I ask a favor of you?" she asks softly.

"You may ask me anything" I say with a nod.

"Could you? Could you go over and invite Teddy over? Tell him everything would be fine. We all want him to come by" she asks softly. "Not for me. But for Amy?" she asks me. "If I ask he would not go we both know it"

She was right. He would turn her offer down in a heartbeat.

I sigh. This was hard. I really did not want to see Laurie again. Not after the mean harsh things he had said to me when I last saw him.

But I knew how important it was to Amy to have him at her party. Amy had done so much for me since my parents had passed away. I had to be there for Amy to. And Jo.

"Alright, I shall go over there" I sigh at last.

"You are swell" she gushes. She gets up and hugs me tightly.

"You owe me Jo March" I tease.

She nods. "Of course I do" she says.

"Wish me luck. I will head over to see him" I tell her.