Chapter Seventeen: The Beanbag.

Start from the beginning

"Hey, you didn't tell me about Franca yet," I said quietly.

"Oh, her" Angelo said, rising gracefully and walking around the bed to Susan's side.
"She came to find me at the mansion. She brought Hans and Hale along." He tried to pull the camera out of Susan's embrace but in her sleep, she pulled it back, a disturbed frown on her forehead.

"No...! Followers ...mmm"

Angelo gave up and silently asked if we could leave by gesturing to the door. I nodded and led the way out, grabbing some blankets as I passed by the shelf.

"What the hell is Franca's issue?" I asked, turning off the lights and closing the door. Franca always made me feel a bad combination of anger and fear at the same time.

"She has more than one issue, that's for sure" Angelo shrugged. "She convinced the Mayor to kick me out, apparently I threatened to vandalize and rob their properties."

"That's the dumbest excuse I've ever heard," I put in.

"Dumb or not, Mayor Madison, who was once my mother's best friend, sent me packing." He trailed his fingers along the railing as we went down the stairs. "She sent some money though, to prove she's not heartless."

"But where do you stay now?" I asked, staring at him. "Isn't moving about like this kind of stressful?"

"This is my last move for the meantime, don't worry" He replied, "Unless Franca decides to burn Hotel Lotus down."

Burn.
I shuddered. Burn just like she did the Late Yale Griffin and his farmland.

"It was a joke, Violet." Angelo said.

I nodded and tried for a small laugh, but it came out weak and forced "I know, I just...the air conditioning got to me a bit."

We entered the living room to meet Jason and Annie on one couch, sitting so they were facing each other and talking in hushed voices.

Annie turned to give me a shy smile and I wiggled my eyebrows suggestively back at her. I guess she was finally warming up to the guy.

"Hey lovebirds" I said, "you're going to have to share this one." I tossed them a blanket.

"You're kidding," Annie chuckled, and raised her hands to catch it but Jason got it first.

"Hey, I don't mind," He smirked, making Annie roll her eyes like she completely hated the idea but had no choice.

I smiled at them and went to where Hunter was sleeping, covering him with a blanket. He immediately stuck one foot out from under it.

Angelo came out from the kitchen, sipping from a mug, while running his hand through his hair to remove the rubber band. The silky locks fell about his face and he tucked one side behind his ear.

"You guys are out of hot chocolate." He said.

"Oh come on, I was saving that for a rainy day, how did you even-?" I sighed and went to flop tiredly onto my beanbag. "You owe me another pack."

"Sure," he mumbled and went to the recliner where he was to stay for the night. Except had Moo beaten him to it.

"Meow," she said, completely ignoring Angelo as she claimed her rightful spot in the center of the seat. I immediately brought out my phone to record the moment.

"You can just move her out of the way," I put in my piece of advice with a chuckle.

Angelo just kept watching, the fingers on his free hand flexing while the other raised his cup to his mouth again.