Chapter 8: I'm Alone Again

Chapter 8:

[Haru's POV]

"What?" I manage to mutter out after being told such surprising news.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know what to feel about the news. I was never emotionally attached to my mother, especially with all the things she has done to me, but death is a little too much. She is still my mother, and I still wanted her approval and acknowledgment.

"Mitsuki died last night," Masaway-san said, 

"How?" Draken asked, he also seemed like he doesn't know how to react to the news.

"After being in debt for months after being thrown out by her husband, she grew severely depressed and turned to drugs and alcohol," Masaway-san explained, "Last night, she hung herself in her apartment,"

"She hung herself?" I was in disbelief, it was my fault she did that, if I have done well with meeting that businessman, she would still be alive. 

"I know what you're thinking," Draken told me, "None of this was your fault,"

"But--," I was still not convinced, if she never had me, she could have been happily married with her own family. He said it's not my fault, but why does it feel like it was, it always had been my fault.

"When's her funeral?" Draken asked Masaway-san,

"On the 31st, in Minato, her husband decided to plan the funeral," Masaway-san informed us, so it was being held at her husband's hometown, "If you decided to go, I'm not stopping you, but you have to consider that they separated because he found out about you, they might not welcome you in her funeral,"

"It's fine, I don't plan on going," I told him as I flashed them all a sincere smile,

"Haru, are you sure?" Draken asked, he knew me well, he knows I wanted to see her one last time.

"I'm sure, it's not like we had any good memories together," I told him, "I'm going to bed, thank you again for today," I told Draken and headed to my room to rest.

...

The 31st came so slow, it felt like ages before this day came. I was still unsure if I wanted to go. I wanted to see my mother one last time but I don't know what will happen if I went to her husband's place. Of course, they hate me, I was the reason why they separated and the reason why she decided to kill herself.

But she's still my mother, don't I have a right to say goodbye to her?

I got up from my bed and headed out of my room, Draken was just coming out of his room as well. 

"Are we still on for tonight?" Draken asked, flashing me a sincere smile. Right! He said we'd go out for New Year together.

"Of course!" I told him, "I'll call you once I get home,"

"Where are you going?" Draken asked,

"To Minato," I said as I was putting on my jacket, "I'm going to my mother's funeral,"

"Are you sure? You don't have to force yourself," Draken explained, I smiled and nodded, assuring him I was ready to face them, 

"If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't be here anyway, I want to thank her personally one last time," I said, "I'll call you!"

"I'm proud of you," Draken said as I headed to the elevator, I couldn't help but smile as he said that, that was probably the first time anyone has told me they were proud of me. It felt great, I have a good feeling about today,

I ran out the door and quickly headed to Minato to see my mother one last time.

...

I have arrived in Minato after about a 40-minute train ride. I quickly headed to the mansion of my mother's husband. He was a very rich businessman who owns several IT companies in the prefecture, no wonder my mother has grown accustomed and is seeking the lavish lifestyle she lost because of me.