Chapter 4: Happy Birthday!

Chapter 4:

I find it odd that it has been 2 years but Draken still hasn't confessed to Emma, we're now at our 3rd year of middle school and he still acts chill around her, while Emma was very vocal about how much she liked Draken.

And for the past 2 years, I just sat on the sidelines and watched the whole thing.

Ever since I was left at the brothel, I told myself I'd do anything to make Draken happy, and if it means keeping my feelings to myself and letting him love someone else, I'd definitely do it. Besides, I don't stand a chance, I never stood a chance against Emma, she's great, she's nice, she's pretty, and most of all she sincerely loves Draken. That's what matters most.

Ever since what happened at that diner 2 years ago, Draken made sure I wasn't left out, though I was still skeptical about it and rarely ever join them.

I did that for 2 reasons, one, I didn't want Draken to feel responsible, of course, he had to look after me while I'm out with him. and two, I want him to focus on Emma, if he has to look after me, his attention will be divided, I don't want that.

Also, I didn't really want to see them together being all lovely-dovey with each other, but that's mostly a 'me' reason, it's a selfish reason that I really didn't want to admit.

"Haruka!" I heard Draken call out to me from his room, did I forget to mention his room was just next to mine. Anyways, I got up from my bed and headed to his bedroom.

"What?" I hissed at the giant beanpole who was getting ready to go out.

"You know the drill," He said as he handed me his hairbrush, even though Draken and I barely hang out as much as when we were younger, I'm still in charge of doing his hair, I've been doing his hair every day for 2 years now. It's the only time of the day I actually get to spend with him, it's just 5 minutes, but that 5 minutes means the world to me.

"Where are you going?" I asked him, 

"Just hanging out with Mikey," He said with a cheeky smile, "Your birthday is tomorrow, we should go out, just the two of us,"

I was not expecting that at all, my heart was racing and I could feel my cheeks heat up.

"Really?" I said, a little too excited about it,

"Of course, it's your special day," He said as I finished fixing his hair, "You said you always wanted to go see the beach at night, I'll take you there,"

"It's December, wouldn't driving at night be freezing?" I asked him, was he trolling me or is he really going to put in the effort to drive at this temperature.

"Then dress warmly," He said cheekily, he was really eager about this.

"This isn't a joke, right?" I wanted to be sure about this, I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing,

"I'm not joking, wait for me tomorrow at the park near our elementary school at 7 PM, I'll pick you up there," He assured me, 

"You promise?" I asked, he chuckled then ruffled my hair, he was so amused at how hopeful and excited I was with this, just like a kid during Christmas.

"I promise, tomorrow, just you and me," He assured me one last time before heading out to meet his short blonde friend.

I couldn't hide my excitement with this. Finally, I'm going to spend time with Draken, after how many years I can finally have some alone time with my best friend! I can't remember the last time we spent time together, just the two of us. 

I can't wait for tomorrow!

...

I couldn't sleep well last night due to the excitement I've been feeling all day yesterday, so I ended up waking a little late than usual and by the time I woke up Draken has already left the brothel.