Vol.1. Chapter 13.2 : A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Start from the beginning

She was attempting to get into my thoughts and elicit a worried and agitated response from me. In other words, she was waging psychological warfare on me. Perhaps she thought it would be amusing to see my cool crumble and me act out of character. Regrettably for her, two can play at that game.

In my mind's eye, I had mentally saved the image of her ogling me in the gym. Because Matsuhita had such a mischievous and playful disposition, I had kept it there just in case she tried to tease me into giving a reaction. She was similar to Eichiiro in appearance, but his antics were a little more subdued.

All according to keikaku.

After hearing my brilliant ripost, she flinched and widened her eyes. She was probably taken aback that I had spotted her staring at me and remembered it from so long ago. Her cheeks instantly flushed crimson, indicating that she was blushing from embarrassment.

"E-eh?!" She stuttered. "I-I don't know what y-you're talking about, Ayanokouji-Kun." She stammered even more, sheltering her face with her palms to hide her face.

"It's pointless for you to act as if you don't understand what I'm talking about or try to lie your way out of it, Matsuhita. Your facial expression and tone of voice make it brutally evident that I'm telling the truth." I continued to obliterate her with basic logic and reasoning. "You may have tried to outsmart me but I've outsmarted your outsmarting." With my index and middle fingers hitting my forehead, I returned.

"Tch," she clicked her tongue in annoyance. "You win this time, Ayanokouji-Kun. But I'll get you someday!" She pouted while crossing her arms and turning her head away.

With the exception of Horikita, everyone laughed at our shenanigans.

"Oh, Horikita-San, could you tell me how you found out about that? I'm still baffled as to how you were able to come up with such an idea." Kushida spoke up.

"As you can see..." She built on the theory in the same way as I did with her. Of course, I nitpicked certain facts that may be left out. Her explanation astounded everyone, as one might anticipate.

"That's amazing Horikita-San!" Mii-Chan cheered.

"I guess you really do care about the class, even when you act so cold and distant to us." Eichiiro grinned even though he knew It was me who actually got the papers.

"I merely acted for my own benefit. Nothing more, nothing less." She shot him down coldly.

"No need to act so Tsun-Tsun, Horikita. Your dependable side is also rather charming, don't you think?" He continued to poke fun at her.

"Matsuo-Kun, do you want to die?" Horikita made a threat while rummaging inside her bag for something.

"N-no, ma'am. Please forgive me. I beg you to not stab me with that compass again." He pleaded for his sins.

Horikita and Eichiiro's antics made everyone giggle. I looked at Kushida while everyone else was looking at Horikita with respect and affection. She wasn't smiling, but she was biting her lower lip as if she was irritated with Horikita getting the attention over her.

Her facade has been eroding in my view over the previous few days. I could now detect whether she was being sincere or not on occasion. I just hope she doesn't reach her breaking point and throw the class into chaos.

I have to prevent that from happening. Even if I have to resort to inexcusable means to silence her.

———————————————————

After the tiny celebration, I was cleaning up the mess that my classmates had created. While Kushida was gathering up the juice cans and other rubbish on the floor, I began sweeping the crumbs to the dustpan.