Vol.1. Chapter 13.1 : An Unusual Arrangement

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka's POV

Our study sessions for the next few weeks went without a hitch. Horikita and the others even joined us for joint sessions. Their progress was comparable to ours. Everyone began to warm up to one another, and we could even be considered a friend group at this time. I'm relieved to see that more of the students are getting along now.

These study groups will undoubtedly strengthen our class's cohesiveness and camaraderie. Whenever we're in distress, it's more like everyone has already banded together against a common foe. Unsurprisingly, it was none other than Koenji.

He doesn't contribute much to the class, despite his excellent academic performance and physical ability. You could even call him the class misfit, but he would simply reject it, claiming arrogantly that we peasants were unworthy of his attention.

If I were to pick someone Koenji would most likely consider a friend, I'd say it'd be me. I don't have anything personal against the guy. In fact, I believe his narcissistic and brash demeanor might occasionally lighten the mood in the classroom.

He just has this bizarre fascination with wanting to destroy me to prove to the world that he is the apex of human perfection. Arisu can also be added to that list of people. Seriously, why are people who are aware of my background wanting to beat me so badly?

I mean, I want to be handed my defeat too, but it's exhausting, and bothersome when the two most allegedly intelligent individuals in my year want to bring me down and humiliate me. I simply hope that my future underclassmen aren't like them.

After all, Someone with knowledge of my past would never enroll in this school just to triumph against me like those two... Right?

That is something I sincerely hope does not occur.

When it was time for lunch, I got out of my seat and swiftly approached Horikita, who was starting to eat her bento. Her lunchbox was decorated with a sweet pink and white polka dot pattern. It was out of character for her, but I thought it was charming.

"Horikita," I addressed, patting her shoulders to alert her of my presence. She irritatedly moved her head in my direction. But as soon as she learned who was bugging her, that rapidly changed.

Even with that disinterested expression on her face, anyone could misinterpret it as her glaring at them. Horikita's piercing gaze is similar to that of a thousand daggers roaming over you, just around the corner, ready to stab you at any second. The last thing I'd want to do right now is to cause a scene and piss Horikita off.

"What is it, Ayanokouji-Kun?" Horikita asked.

"I'm going to the cafeteria, and I'd like you to accompany me." She raised her eyebrows a bit at my statement, probably suspicious of my motives."Don't worry, I'm not intending to invite you out to lunch with other people or anything like that. It's about something that could be crucial and important for our midterm examinations. Of course, I will not compel you to accompany me. Of course, I understand if you have other concerns you need to attend to right now." I explained.

"Hm..." She rubbed her chin. "If it's really that vital for our upcoming tests, then I wouldn't mind joining you. Plus, I have nothing else to do at lunch anyway." She stated as she rose from her seat, waiting for my signal to follow me.

"Before we depart, I think Eichiiro should join us; you can wait outside the classroom first," I informed her about a third party. She simply nodded as a response and walked out of the classroom.

I locked eyes with Eichiiro and then shifted my peer towards the classroom door. He inclined his head as if he understood what I was trying to convey through mere eye contact. He came up with an excuse on the spot for the people who were planning to ask him out for lunch and hurriedly made his way outside. I quickly zipped my bag and dashed out the classroom door before anyone dared to talk to me.