Vol.1. Chapter 4.2 : A Predator Lurking in Plain Sight

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

'RING!!!'

The rest of the morning was spent going over the course objectives in our various subjects.

I tried my hardest to pay attention during the lessons so my behavior would not cost us any class points. Surprisingly, the class was very well behaved today during the lessons and I hope it will stay that way for the rest of the school year.

"Ayanokouji-Kun!" A set of voices called out to me. I turned my head to see five girls and one pitiful boy who had walked up to me. They were Karuizawa Kei, Matsushita Chiaki, Shinohara Satsuki, Mori Nene, Sato Maya, and Hirata Yosuke.

"What's up? Do you need anything from me?" I asked even though I already knew what they were going to ask of me.

"We were wondering if you wanted to join us for lunch. Since like ya know, you couldn't hang out with us yesterday." Karuizawa asked staring at me with her purple eyes.

"I have nothing else planned so I have no reason to refuse," I said choosing the option to broaden my social circle. Hearing my response, she slightly cracked a smile. I would consider Karuizawa one of the many attractive girls in our class now that I have a better look at her.

"That's great Ayanokouji-Kun," Hirata said with sincerity while also flashing me a genuine smile.

"You know Ayanokouji-Kun..." Shinohara leaned in, "One of the reasons we wanted to invite you for lunch was because Matsuhita said she was interested in you." She whispered, poking fun at Matsuhita. Her efforts to say it quietly were futile because everyone could hear what she had said to me.

"E-EH?! I-it's not like that Shinohara-San!" Matsuhita desperately tried to deny. "I was just curious about what kind of person he was. Don't say things that could to a misunderstanding!" She shouted with a flushed face while flapping her arms all over the place.

I looked around the room, trying to gauge how everyone was reacting to our silly antics. The majority of the males appeared irritated, while the majority of the females appeared to be interested in the current development. Karuizawa and her friends were giggling loudly while teasing Matsuhita at the same time. Miyake and Yukimura had smirks on their faces as they looked at me, while Eichiiro had a smug grin on his face and gave me a thumbs up.

Horikita... Well, She didn't even bother to pay attention and simply looked away, her face devoid of any expression of interest.

Hirata, Karuizawa, and the rest of her pals... I didn't know any of them very well, but they did give brief introductions on the first day here at school. There was also yesterday's dispute between Karuizawa and her group of girls with Horikita which provided me with a little bit of insight into some of their characters.

Once the teasing had finally ended, I grabbed the bento wrap that I packed this morning and followed their clique as we made our way to the cafeteria. While walking, I could see Matsuhita, Sato, and Mori throwing a few occasional sidelong glances directed at me.

It wasn't long until we finally reached the cafeteria. Looking around, I saw Albert who was eating a food tray with a girl who had mid-back length silver hair that has black ribbons tied behind it and light purplish eyes. They appeared to be discussing something related to the book that the silver-haired was currently holding in her hands.

On the other table, Hashimoto was chatting idly with what I assumed were some of his classmates. Though, most of them were girls as only one boy had come to accompany him. If I'm being honest, the boy sitting next to Hashimoto looked quite attractive. He'll most likely be placed near the top of the Ikemen rankings that Kushida and her friends were talking about yesterday.