Karthik

Days had gone by since our last conversation that night, and since then, Darshini hadn't sent Shree. Aside from bringing my meals, no servant entered my room, and neither did anyone call me to the princess's quarters.

Time seemed to pass by as slowly as the sand in an hourglass.

From the windows of my chambers and the outside sounds I was hearing, the palace seemed to be in a rush. Servants ran about, carrying rolls of fabric, trays of lavish food, and such. None of them stopped for even a second. Is the Rani hosting an event?

Someone passed by carrying a melam, and my curiosity grew. When I called out from my room to a nearby servant and asked what occasion these preparations were for, I got a side glance, but nothing more. I figured I should just see, but when I tried opening the door, I found it locked.

Who...? None of these servants would have done it without the authority of the Royal family, and there was no way that Darshini would have me locked in. That only left His and Her Majesty, but what reason could they have to do this?

Why? I asked servant after servant that passed by my window, but they spared only a glance.

But the question when remained. I had left my room yesterday and this morning just hours before this commotion began in the palace halls. How had I not noticed that they had locked my door?

A soft tap tap reached my ears, and I turned around to see Shree, tapping his beak against the window that I had forgotten to open. After days of no response, I saw no use. I was about to open the window, but twisting in my gut told me to do something else first. I took a long, brown sheet of fabric and strew it across the window, taking care to cover everything. Then I shouted out that I was going to change and pointedly looked at a maid passing by, who flushed and scurried away, covering her face with her saree.

I hurried back to Darshini's bird and let him in. "Are you thirsty?" I asked, offering water. Though the flight from Darshini's quarters to mine wasn't a long one, Shree was her companion. Therefore, I considered him a friend of mine as well. He drank for a long minute, and when he was done, he began flying about my room, the sound of his feathers flapping sounding louder than it probably was. He plopped himself on my bed, and I went over to him. Indeed, there was another message attached. Untying the ribbon and taking the paper into my hands, I read.

" My mother has found out about us, and she's taken measures to ensure that I do not meet with you again. I heard her order the servants to make sure that you do not leave your room, and by the time that you receive this letter, I assume that you will become aware. I, myself, am entrapped within my chambers. Now my only access to you is through Shree, but even I cannot guarantee that they won't take him, too. For now, I have no choice but to hand him over to you. Please take care of him for me, will you?

Nothing will be easy now. "

Darshini's voice ran through my head as I read this, and by the time I finished, it filled me with questions. How did they find out? The answer came to me quickly. The palace servants must have talked. I skimmed through the letter once more. Was this a farewell notice? It couldn't be. But then why would she leave Shree with me? I glanced at the pura, who only cocked his head and cooed once, seeing me look his way. No, I will definitely reunite with her, I told myself. But none of this explained the servants running about the place.

I wrote a letter of my own.