2| The phone call

Start from the beginning

I just don't like it when people believe they can or are even capable of crossing me.

I'm a person that every mafia prefers to stay away from, especially to avoid my bad side. Everyone is aware that Azalea works for herself and even then various Mafias, Cartels and other illegal organisations have continued to pursue me to join them.

I don't believe I can work for anyone. The first time wasn't pleasant, and the second I didn't bother to find out.

Besides that, I'm terrible at societal skills.

There are times when I am unable to discern what the other person is feeling, and for the most part, I couldn't care less about their feelings and emotions.

I say what I have in mind, and as it turns out a lot of humans don't like that...

Which is, once again, their problem, and not mine.

So, why am I pondering about all of this in the middle of the night as I gaze outside my office window?

It's 1:04 am–

Because of a small phone call that I had received this afternoon.

***

"Hello! Is this Leila Cohen speaking? If so, please dial '0' to have your call transferred to 'Liverpool' county station." An automated voice said and I pressed '0 on my phone while taking a sip of my whiskey.

"Hello! I am talking to Leila Cohen, yes?" A feminine voice spoke on the other end of the call.

"Yes, this is her." I replied, waiting for the female officer to continue.

"My name is Molly Edward, and I am calling from the Liverpool county station to discuss the situation with your siblings. Both of your parents died recently, and your five siblings are in need of a new guardian. So, should we enlist your name down if you are willing to take their guardianship." She asked and I furrowed my eyebrows before taking a sip of my drink.

What was it again?

Siblings....parents?

Not really–

"No, thank you." I replied while staring at the glass in my hand, my gaze drawn to the liquid that was twirling around as I moved the glass in slow circles.

"All right, we'll see what we can do. Thank you for taking the time, Ms. Cohen." She said, and I pressed the red button on my phone before downing the entire whiskey.

I then rose from the comfortable leather chair and made my way to the centre of the room.

A dangerous smirk made its way on my face as I stared at the terrified eyes of my next victim, who was tied to the chair with a tape on his mouth.

The moment I took the tape off, the entire room was filled with begging and pleadings of the men for showing mercy.

I gave the man in front of me a small smile,

Time for fun...

***

What I fail to understand is why it bothers me so much, or if at all.

I was an orphan my entire life,

All alone with no family to worry about.

And now a phone call informing me that I have five recently orphaned siblings waiting in a police station, looking for a guardian, has turned my non-existent emotions into a turmoil of uneasiness.

I still puzzled as to why I'm still thinking about it,

Especially when I've already declined the offer after only a minute of being on the call.

Why at all?

I sure as hell don't care where those kids end up,

I may have only recently discovered that they are related to me,

It still doesn't warrant anything.

We are blood-relatives

And that's all there is to it; we are only related through our birth givers, who had chosen to send me away to an orphanage despite the fact that I never asked to be born.

And now the rest of their children can forge their own paths to life.

Just as I did...

Because, while they may be related to me, they are not my family.

We will never be one!

***