Chapter Forty Eight

Começar do início

Zeus drooled over the pickles on the counter, but didn't move a muscle. He sat stock still with his eyes fixated on the jar until something near the window stole his attention.

What's he looking at?

Kenzie followed Zeus as he cautiously approached the large bay window, watching Zeus' body language change. He let out a low growl that prompted Austin to immedia join them at the window.

"Whatcha see buddy?" Austin asked, casually moving Kenzie behind him.

There was nothing, no movement, no rustling, no lights or sounds. The only thing that could be seen was a house far off in the distance.A person was on the upper terrace of the house next door but it was so far away Kenzie couldn't tell if it was a man or a woman.

Squinting her eyes, Kenzie tried to focus on the small figure that was bent over positioning something on a chair.

"Sun bathing?" Kenzie asked, but it was as if Austin hadn't heard her. His expression hardened and he was completely focused on the person next door.

"What are y'all looking at?" Lexi asked from the kitchen.

"Stay right there Lex." Austin said firmly.

His shift in tone grabbed everyone's attention.

"You know the neighbors in that big ass house to the East?" Austin asked James over his shoulder.

James wrinkled his nose and recoiled his head in confusion.

"That house is fucking hideous. It's been on the market for over a year."

"Vacant?" Austin said, tightening his hand around Kenzie's wrist and stepping them backwards.

"Yeah."

"Fuck." Austin muttered.

Kenzie's eyes focused on the small figure in the distance watching the person straighten their stance and hoist something up on their shoulder.

We need to run.

"Get away from the windows right fucking now." Austin yelled.

They ran toward Lexi in the kitchen with Zeus bounding beside them like he was trained to do. Both Kenzie and Austin saw the grenade launcher at the exact same time.

Oh my God.

"Get down!" Austin yelled in a voice so loud and powerful, Kenzie knew the entire house had heard it.

He grabbed Kenzie and Lexi forcing them to the ground with his body on top of theirs a split second before the entire room exploded around them.

Two loud explosions tore through the house sending debris and furniture flying around them as they were flung across the floor.

It took a few seconds for Kenzie to fully grasp what had happened. She opened her eyes wide with her ears ringing and her senses slurred and slowed.

Her mind instantly took her back to the training exercises her father had forced her to complete. He'd set off a blast and force her to complete an obstacle course or shoot at a row of targets.

Move. We have to move. Blasts are to maim and paralyze while the enemy moves in. We have to move now.

"Get up." Kenzie said, but her own voice sounded distant and muffled.

She reached out to Lexi who was shaking her head, trying to regain her senses.

"We gotta move Lex." Austin said, but Lexi was too focused on her loss of hearing to acknowledge him.