Chapter Thirty Eight

Kenzie

It was a three hour drive to Hunter's safe house and he had barely spoken a single word to Kenzie the entire drive.

The muscles in his jaw and neck were tense as he stared at the road ahead with a deep scowl on his face. He was focused and completely silent which put Kenzie on edge. Every attempt Kenzie made at conversation was met by shrugs or clipped one word answers.

Is he mad at me?

Another hour passed, filled with mostly silence until they finally pulled into what looked like an empty clearing with no house in sight.

"Where's the house?" Kenzie asked.

"Behind that tree line." Hunter said flatly as he climbed out of the drivers seat and stretched his legs.

His thumbs danced across his phone as he sent text after text, fully focused on his phone without even looking at Kenzie.

Why is he so distant right now?

Grabbing a duffle from the bed of the truck, Hunter put it over his shoulder and motioned with his chin for Kenzie to follow him.

"This way." He said firmly with a sternness to his voice that made Kenzie's stomach knot.

He seems...angry.

"Everything okay?" She asked, trying to keep up with his long strides as he surveyed every inch of terrain in front of them, scanning the entire area with his eyes as they walked.

"No." He answered dryly.

"No? What's wrong?" She asked, but got nothing in response.

Hunter's jaw was clenched and his frustration was obvious as she followed him all the way to a small cabin.

"Talk to me, Hunter."

"Just gimme a minute Kenzie." He said flatly with a scowl on his face.

He is mad at me.

The idea that Hunter's anger was aimed at her made Kenzie's stomach drop and her whole body felt off kilter. She hated the thought of him being mad at her and was determined to remedy the situation as quickly as possible.

"Please, just tell me what's wrong." She pleaded.

Once they reached the front door, Hunter pulled a gun from beneath his shirt and turned over his shoulder after punching in a security code. He pressed his finger against his lips forcefully, practically glaring at Kenzie as he nonverbally instructed her to be quiet.

Opening the door slowly, Hunter took two slow steps through the doorway, sweeping his gun to each corner before he silently reached back and grabbed Kenzie by the wrist and pulled her behind him. She was nearly flush with his back as he moved her into the house. He positioned her with her back against the wall, placing her hand on the door knob before he whispered to her.

"Don't move." He ordered in a whisper.

"But..." Kenzie wanted to offer her assistance to him. She knew how to handle a weapon and wanted to make herself useful to assist him in sweeping the house.

"Goddammit Kenzie I said don't move." His tone was harsh and his voice was deep and meant to be obeyed as he scolded her.

She nodded and stayed put, with her back against the wall and her hand on the door knob as Hunter moved from room to room with silent precision.

Reappearing after a minute or two, Hunter slid the gun into the waistband of his jeans and made eye contact with Kenzie.

"All good." He said coldly.