Chapter 8

-8-

I struggle to process what was happening. I think I just got promoted but also, I have to live with Jerome Peters for two weeks, which is rather...I am not sure what word to use.

Convenient...for the writer?

He has left the room about 15 minutes ago. I am still not able to comprehend it. I tried to commit suicide? I can never. Everything feels so surreal.

Being under Jerome Peters' supervision would mean living with him. A small part of me is excited, a bigger part of me is scared.

I don't think I want to be supervised by the boss of the bosses. How would I live with him? How would I adjust with him? How would he adjust with me being with him?

There is nothing I know about his life and vice-versa. It is going to be the invasion of privacy of the top-notch sort. A part of me still thinks that maybe living with him won't be that bad, he probably owns a big house with many floors, I can have one room on any of those and that would be enough.

It will be like a vacation. I get to live in luxury for two weeks, yes, that's how I ought to think of it; positively.

I have obviously failed to convince him that I am not capable of suicide, what I can do now is act normally, rationally, and make him believe that my head indeed is in the right place. He doesn't seem to keen about the whole affair, if I just behave normally, these two weeks might just turn out to be a vacation I wanted but could never afford.

In between my musings, the door to the room opened. I saw Jerome Peters walking in and with him came that rude doctor.

"How are you feeling?" The doctor did not wait for my reply, he simply took my wrist in his hand and checked some nerve. He shone light in my eyes, did a regular check-up, all this while I wanted to tell him to fuck off. I wish I could.

"You seem good to go." The doctor is too cheerful, he smiles brightly, it is a handsome smile on not so handsome face.

"Jerome has helped me get the paperwork done, now, all you need to do is get up from the bed, change and head out." I nodded, not really wanting to say anything. Jerome Peters eyes were on me the whole time throughout the check-up, as if analyzing me, predicting when I will do something erratic. I don't blame him but he won't get to see any of that. I am going to behave normally.

Both the men exit the room and I quickly changed into my clothes from last night. The wretched company t-shirt. I wonder if that's the reason I am in this situation, I always knew I shouldn't have gone clubbing with it on.

Damn you, Laura. Oh, Laura! She might know something about this whole situation! I must call her at the first chance I get.

But for now, I must get out of this hospital without landing myself in any trouble.

I opened the door to my room and Jerome Peters was standing with the doctor at the farther end of corridor with a file in his hand, which I assume is mine. They seem to be in a deep conversation, I can't really gauze their expressions but maybe if I walk a bit closer, without much noise, they wouldn't suspect my presence.

"This is a mess." I heard Jerome Peters say.

Doctor said something but it is too low for me to listen, maybe if I inch a bit closer to them. I tried to move closer but also stay hidden from their immediate periphery.

"I know it is taxing for you but look at it positively." Doctor says and Jerome Peters just shook his head at him.

This time whatever Jerome Peters is saying is too low, I decided to inch a bit closer. I am at a safe distance from both of them.