Chapter 7

-7-

I wasn't sure what was happening. Am I dreaming? Certainly not. This headache is definitely real.

"Ms. Amber, good to see you all awake and conscious. How are you feeling?" How was I feeling? "I am Dr. Mahoney, by the way. super glad to meet you!" I would've liked it much better if this doctor with unnaturally dark eyes would have left the sarcasm of his tone outside the room.

"I feel okay..." I answered him, however, my eyes refused to let go of the sight of Jerome Peters. What was he doing here? What was I doing here? 

"What am I doing here?"

"You don't remember?" The doctor raised an eyebrow while Jerome Peters kept looking at me, assessing me, making me uncomfortable as hell.

"I'm afraid I don't."

You don't?

"You don't?" Jerome Peters' voice almost made me jump. It was the first time ever that he was addressing me directly. Both his eyebrows were furrowed but in astonishment. A trident formed between his eyebrows, any moment now it may start deflecting bolts of lightning. Stop staring at it, you stupid girl, I reminded myself.

I also reminded myself that he was probably expecting an answer to his question, "No."

"Really, you don't?" His looks were accusing. I didn't like that. The constant questioning certainly boiled my temperature to the point where without thinking he was my boss I snapped.

"I said no!"

He looked surprised, amused rather by the way both his eyebrows raised. He didn't expect me to snap. His face was quite easy to read. I have never seen him up close before but now that I did, he was quite unusual in his looks, not very handsome but bearable. 

"Okay..." He trailed off and stared at me like I was some alien who had come from another planet.

There was silence for a while. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to know or remember. I don't know why I was here. I somehow didn't want to ask either.

But if you don't, how will we know?

I am not going to ask. I want to sleep. I would rather ask and get to know tomorrow.

Wait, what? You can't do that. Okay, maybe you can but I won't let it go like that.

"Well, Amber." Suddenly the doctor spoke up. "Listen to this very carefully - what I am going to tell you next."

I nodded my head.

"You tried committing suicide by jumping off the City Bridge and my friend here Mr. Peters saved you." Dr. Mahoney uttered those words with caution, carefully gestured towards Jerome Peter who did not respond.

I, however, was sure that my eyes popped out of their sockets. "Not possible!"

Suicide? Me? It didn't fit right.

"I..I—" I could not believe it. I tried...I can't! Suddenly the machines around me started beeping loudly. I felt myself getting wet with sweat.

I can't. I can't. I can't!

I wanted to scream it out but couldn't because the darkness once again engulfed me. It wasn't comfortable this time either.

***

I was conscious. I was awake but I decided to not open my eyes. Opening my eyes would mean facing that doctor and Jerome Peters. I don't want to do that. I don't want to be reminded of what they told me, not like I didn't remember it.