Chapter Twelve | Dutiful Beloved My Mate

Start from the beginning

"I wasn't going to say anything." She tried to feign innocence but we both knew that she was on some bullshit right now. She couldn't even keep up the act as the facade melted away like fresh snow on a sunny day and in its place, an evil look took over. Great. "I just can't believe that you guys were publicly dry fucking like that."

I narrow my eyes at her and corrected her statement. "There is no 'you guys' it was just him. Also, does everyone in this fucking pack have nothing better to do than to talk about shit that is none of their damn business?"

I said the last part a bit louder for the shitfaces who were clearly eavesdropping in on our conversation and for everyone to hear in general. Smiling sarcastically, I watch as waves of students turn back around to engage in fake conversations with the person next to them to disguise the fact that I was referring to them but they wanted no ounce of confrontation from me.

It costs nothing to go about your own business and pay no mind to what others are doing. But of course, gossip was a tasty meal that everyone wanted to get their hands on. Except in this case, this weeks menu special was Xander alla Jaylin with a sprinkle of dry and a dash of hump. Don't forget about the tasty dessert menu, the Alphas mate being me — a delta and his best friend who is also a dude — was being served. And everyone was just eagerly waiting in line to partake in it. Fine dining I must say.

"Can you blame the people for talking?" Aiden said absentmindedly as he continued to text his girl of the week; Braylen Quent. I didn't like her, then again, I didn't like a lot of people. He pauses to look at me but his face was all scrunched up like he was mortified from whatever thought that invaded his mind. "The smell, the tension, the vibes, everything was fucking insane between you two that day. I thought Xander was going to fuck your brains out right there and then."

Out of irritation, I slap his brand new IPhone out of his hands and it lands on the floor in between us. He glares at me and I gladly returned the look. I didn't even to fucking think of something like that happening between Xander and I. We would never have sex and he would never top. Like hell I'd ever let him enter me. But like the betraying bastard that my body was, my body grew hotter at the simple prospect of engaging intimately with Xander. I wanted to slam my head against the hard desk again but I refrained from doing so.

"I'd never let him so keep that shit to yourself." I growl.

"Is that a bet?" I heard Xanders voice in my head and I jumped a little, startled by the sudden invasion.

I lean forward a bit to look at Xander who has his head cocked to the side with a stupid smirk on his face and scowl.

"There's no need to bet on something that won't happen." I retort back in our mindlink.

He raises a single eyebrow as if intrigued and I watch as he licks his lips and flashes a smile. A smile that I wanted to wipe off his face. I loved him as my best friend but hated him as my mate and it was conflicting as hell.

"Sounds to me like you're trying so hard to believe that but what exactly would've happened if my dad didn't step i—"

I firmly cut him off. "I'd kick your ass Xander, that's what would've happened."

Xander softly chuckles to himself as his eyes sparkle with an emotion I refused to acknowledge and recognize. The urge to disappear and melt into the ground intensifies. I'm grateful when I begin to feel the overwhelming smell of his scent begin to dissipate and I can attribute that to Gnashton who sits to the left of Xander and punches him in the arm and tells him to stop exuding the smell because it 'stunk' which were Gnashtons words but I second that.