Chapter Forty

You woke up with one of the worst headaches you'd ever experienced. Your head was banging as you sat up in Bucky's bed. He was asleep next to you. You pushed your hair out your face, when something glinted and caught your eye making you flinch.

A diamond ring was on your finger. And it was then that you realised what had happened last night, you and Bucky had gotten married. It wasn't a dream.

You rushed to find Nat and Wanda, who were sat reading magazines in front of the TV. "You were so hammered last night," Wanda said as you sat down next to her on the sofa. "I'm surprised you woke up as early as midday,"

You showed them your hand, and the diamond ring that was sat upon your finger. Both of them gasped, and Steve and Tony raised their eyebrows in confusion.

"I got married?"

"To Bucky?" Steve asked.

You sighed, "I hope so," Wanda admired the ring as you rubbed your forehead. "What other dumb things did I do last night?"

"I can't believe you got married," Nat said, "I'm mad me and Wanda weren't there though, you didn't even buy a pretty dress,"

"I mean i'm happy I married Bucky, I mean I love him and everything," you hesitated, "but marriage? Marriage? How am I the first one to get married? What am I gonna do? I can't be a wife,"

Wanda smiled sympathetically, "Of course you can hon, it's like being a girlfriend except you sign stuff as y/n Barnes and not y/n y/l/n."

"I'm not sure that's everything a marriage entails," Steve said, "There's lots of things to consider,"

"Well my drunk self didn't consider anything before I got married," you leaned back, closing your eyes. "What is wrong with me?"

Nat moved onto the sofa with Wanda, "What could be so bad? You're married to Bucky, and you love him, you suggested the marriage so you must want it. There are complications, sure? But talk to Bucky and work it out with him,"

"I can't face him," you said, "I need coffee,"

"Just talk to him hon," Wanda said, "I'm sure he's probably thinking the same thing,"

You laughed, "he's thinking, why am I so fucking stupid? Why did you let me get drunk, ugh,"

It was Bucky who spoke next, "We're not married," you sat up, turning to see him at the stairs. "I figured you might have run off again and left me, but I'm glad you here,"

"Do you not remember last night? A ring?"

He laughed, "I remember a ring, you don't remember a marriage because there wasn't one. You stole a ring from a back street jewellery shop, I didn't buy you a ring. We didn't get married. I tried to drive you home but your stubborn when your drunk, you stole a ring, as trying to convince me to let us go get married but I managed to make it back to the tower without another problem."

"But?"

"It wouldn't be fair on you for us to get married when you were black out drunk," he kissed your forehead. "I think we should return that ring later by the way,"

You laughed, "I stole a ring?"

"You're a damn good thief," he said, "And damn stubborn as well," he smiled at you.

You hugged him tightly, "can we talk?" you asked, he nodded, pulling you up towards the elevator. Once the doors closed you started laughing, laughing hysterically, "You know what's dumb?"

"Probably the idea that you think we got married,"

"No no no," you said, clutching your side. "I actually wish we were married, I wish I got to sign forms with y/n Barnes. I wish I was your wife. I wish I had married you."

You were still laughing hysterically, and Bucky placed his hand on your shoulder. "Are you okay?"

"No," you leaned against the back wall. "Of course I'm not okay Bucky, so I look fucking okay to you. You ask me to marry you, I say no, you make me feel bad, I realise I actually do want to marry you when I'm scrolling through Pinterest looking at huge fancy wedding set outs. That's what I want, that's what I want for us. But we can't have that,"

"Of course we can, why couldn't we?"

You blinked back tears, "Because we're ex assassins, were avengers who by the way are trending on Twitter for whether we should be cancelled because of how many people we've killed. We can't have a normal life,"

"Why have normal when we have what we have," he said, wrapping you in his arms, "All that matters is that we're happy,"

"I just wanna marry you Buck, but I don't know if that'll change anything. Other than the fact that we'll be married,"

He stroked your hair, "Honey we don't have to get married, but we can get married. We can do whatever you want,"

"Shall we keep this ring?" you said with a small smile, Bucky chuckled, brushing away the tears that stained your cheeks. "I mean I'm wearing it anyway,"

"We can keep it if you let me go and pay for it,"

"You're boring,"

He smiled, kissing your cheek. "So we're getting married?"

"Yeah we're getting married,"

You squealed, "oh my god i'm gonna marry you, i'm gonna be your wife,"

"I'm gonna have a wife,"

"Ooh we should get married in the Caribbean, oh wait no, Christmas? London, oh my god we should do London. Oh who am I kidding I don't wanna get married in London. Paris. Yes let's get married in front of the Eiffel Tower and eat cake and bread only,"

Bucky laughed, "we can get married anywhere you want,"

Authors Note ❤️: Tom Holland has tik tok now??