Your Brand-New Beginning

Começar do início

Just like we talked about. 

Daryl and I hang back, letting Rosita walk in front of us first. She was in no mood for words and we couldn't blame her for one bit. Shit just keeps hitting the fan without any breaks. 

I turned to Daryl, tapping his bicep for attention. "Hm?" he hummed lowly, glancing at me for a second. "I just feel like we're being watched." I whispered lowly, trying to catch his gaze. I've been feeling it for a while now. The birds have stopped singing. The forest was too quiet. Something was bothering the branches. 

He turned his head to look but I took a hold of his chin to stop him. "Don't." I shook my head, caressing his chin. Daryl furrowed his brows and watched me attentively, "What do you want me to do?" he asked softly, glancing over at Rosita's direction. She was a well few steps away from us, in her own world. 

"Just promise me if you were given a chance to run, you take it." 

Daryl seemed taken aback by my request. His brows furrowed in confusion while his eyes narrowed in disbelief. "We'll get a better chance of winning if they don't have us all." I explained, watching as his initial shock slowly wore off. He pursed his lips and nodded in understanding, taking my hand in his, "Promise me you will too." 

I looked up at him and nodded, "Promise." 

I dry-heaved painfully on the ground, trying my hardest to catch my breath. 

The sun was setting down and I have no idea how far I am from anywhere. Riding a car will just better their chances of catching me. I have no idea what time it is but I know I have to bring the others within the hour. 

So I picked my ass back up and walked. 

My fingers softly traced the brim of my cup as my eyes focus on the beautiful smoke that my freshly brewed coffee emitted. I could feel my body relaxing as Daryl's hands tenderly massaged my shoulder blades. Once he hit a tender spot, I couldn't help but exhale and closed my eyes in pleasure. He chuckled at my reaction, "That the spot?" his voice was filled with bass and humour. 

I snorted and threw my head back gently to look up at him. Him and I just stared at each other silently, like aliens seeing a human for the first time. Watching intently and trying to memorise each and every crevice on our face.