Chapter 27

“Okay so lets first go shopping for our relatives together and then we will split up and buy stuff for each other.” Emily said as she walked backwards facing us as we walked out of the food court, where we parked.

“All right, mom” Riley said as she slung her small black purse around her shoulder.

Emily just rolled her eyes and at the same moment ran into a guy who wasn’t paying attention. Emily being lighter then the guy fell to the ground with a thud.

Eli was about to help her up when I stopped him by tugging on his hand that was intertwined with mine. He looked at me with puzzled expression.

“Watch,” I said. He looked over to see the guy helping her up.

 “I’m so sorry,” The guy said. He was around our age and had short black hair, he was pretty cute if I do say so myself.

“No, it’s not your fault. I’m sorry I shouldn’t be walking backwards,” Emily said as he pulled her up.

“Ryan.” He said sticking out his hand and smiled at her. Emily smiled back at him and shook his hand.

“Emily.” I quickly looked at Tyler to see him tense and glaring at Ryan.

“Well, I um, better go.” Emily said awkwardly.

“Wait! Can I have your number?” Ryan asked her giving her a genuine smile.

A huge smile appeared on Emily’s face.

“Sure.” She took a sharpie from him and wrote her cell number on his hand.

“So you want to go get something to eat in the food court?” he asked not noticing the four of us waiting for us.

Emily looked at us with pleading eyes. I sighed and waved my hand at her.

“Go. We will wait for you I know how much you loved our annual Christmas shopping.” I said.

(MAKE SURE TO READ THE AUTHOR NOTE!)

“You guys are the best. I promise I will be back in ten minutes tops.” She said as she gave me and Riley a hug.

As Emily and Ryan walked to the food court Riley yelled, “It better only be ten minutes!”

Emily turned her head and stuck out her tongue before she kept walking with Ryan. I sighed and sat down on the nearest bench. Eli sat down next to me putting his arm around my waist. Riley sat on the other side of me. From the corner of my eye I saw Tyler standing glaring at the back of Ryan as he and Emily walked away. As soon as the turned the corner Tyler huffed and started walking away.

“Where the heck is he going?” Riley asked as Tyler walked away from where we were sitting.

I sighed, “I don’t know let me go talk to him.” I said getting up and giving Eli a peck on the cheek before quickly rushing after Tyler.

“Tyler!” I yelled getting him to stop and turn an angry expression clear on his face.

“What?” He said harshly.

“What is your deal?” I asked putting my right hand on my hip.

“Nothing.” He said bitterly.

“Right your angry because of nothing.” I said matching his tone.

“How about you stop trying to fix everything and mind your own f**king business.” He said harshly. I took a deep breath before saying anything I would regret.

“Emily is my friend and you’re my friend. I am not just going to let you both fall apart. I am trying to help. You know last year, Emily was always there for me trying to fix things, help me out. She even cussed out… him and gave him a black eye. So I will get in to anyone’s business if it means helping her. She doesn’t deserve to be hurt” I said keeping my hand on my hip.