"Well, then, Elena's an idiot," said Damon, brushing the glass off of himself. "She's okay with dying just to keep us safe—"

"Because she knows how irrational you are! I'm trying to help her, Damon, she's my friend, practically my sister. If you hadn't killed my other one—"

"ENOUGH ABOUT LEXI!" he spat, shoving her back to the floor. She quickly got up, grabbing a spatula and smacking him with it. He broke the handle off, slashing at her face with it. This time, Daniel jumped to her defense, and was about to bite Damon when Maddy pulled him off.

"Daniel, no!" she said. "No, no, no!"

"Let him bite me," spat Damon. "I'd rather be dead than watching my sister whoring around with Klaus."

She slapped him again. And he didn't look the least bit remorseful.

"Damon," said Stefan, who previously had his arms crossed as he watched in the doorway. "What the hell gives you the right to call her that? I don't like it either, but like she said, this is an opportunity. Klaus will protect her, protect Elena, and us by default."

"He will," piped up Daniel helpfully. "It's what he wants. To keep them all safe."

"Shut up, literally no one is talking to you," said Damon venomously.

"Apologize," said Stefan. "Apologize to Maddy, right now. You don't get to call her a slut and a whore, because she isn't one. You didn't see them together. I did. And I don't trust this guy but I know without a doubt that Maddy means the world to him."

"I'm not apologizing til she tells me what she was up to last night, 'cause out of nowhere, Katherine stopped messaging me, and—"

"Why were you communicating with Katherine?" asked Stefan suspiciously.

"We were following a lead," said Damon. "One that mattered to all of us. I know Katherine, she's a selfish bitch, she wouldn't have just given up on it." He looked at Maddy, who wouldn't meet his gaze. "You ruined it, didn't you? You told Klaus everything."

"You don't know about Mikael," she said. "You don't know anything. He wouldn't have just killed Klaus, he would have killed all of us, Damon! He's a vampire who hunts vampires! He would have killed Klaus and instantly turned on all of us."

"Wait, who is this Mikael guy?" asked Stefan. "What am I missing?"

"The abusive stepdad," said Maddy. "The one who mistreated him when he was just a kid. No one deserves that, Stefan..."

Damon was furious when he realized that Stefan was going to take his sister's side.

"Damon," he said, "first of all, you should have said something the instant I woke up here. Second of all... if this guy is a danger to all of us then why would we want to use him as the weapon? I hate Klaus, and I hate seeing him with Maddy, but I know what it's like to have an abusive father and I can't pretend to hate her when she protected him from a man who ruined him. He told me stories about what the guy did to him. He was way worse than Giuseppe."

The eldest Salvatore wouldn't hear any of it. "Madeleine," he seethed, "you ruined our only chance of killing Klaus. Our only chance of ensuring that Elena was protected. He'll go back on the deal. Just watch. He will. So pack your shit, because I don't want you here. I don't want you anywhere near here."

"Hey!" snapped Daniel when Damon advanced to Maddy, as if to physically force her out of the house. "Klaus wouldn't like hearing about how mean you're being to her."

Damon huffed, "I don't give a flying crap about what he wants. She wants to date the bastard, she can deal with the consequences."

"Don't call him that!" Maddy cried. "Don't call him a bastard!"