Peace

Iyla felt terrible as they rode their horses hard to reach the Cinian castle. She leaned against her horse's neck and whispered her thanks and promises of rest, food and water. The animal seemed to respond by pushing itself harder and harder until finally, in the half-light of dusk, the intimidating form of the great impenetrable castle of the Cinian people, loomed over them.

Iyla was awestruck as they approached the castle over a great stone bridge that stretched over a deep, wide moat. A sheer stone wall reached up from the moat and there were two towers either side of a gate with guards blocking their path. Camen rode ahead to speak to them and the guards moved aside to allow the travellers through the gates.

Iyla was slightly confused to find they were still not in the castle but were simply looking at another stone walkway over what appeared to be another moat, leading to another set of gates.

"We are currently standing on the South Dam," Camen explained, "Dragon's Keep is very well defended. It is set on three islands in a flooded valley, the central island being the main core of the stronghold, which is where we are heading. What you see before you is the gate for the outer wall. We will pass through this and then through the gate to the inner wall before we find ourselves inside the castle."

Bill whistled, "I'm guessing you don't get too many visitors here then," he said.

"That's the idea," Camen replied.

After what seemed like an endless succession of huge stone walls and unwelcoming gates, they finally found themselves within the walls of the main stronghold.

"Welcome to Dragon's Keep," Camen said with pride in his voice, "Nothing can harm you here."

Iyla could believe it, she was sure that if she ever tried to find her way out of this place alone, she would spend the rest of her life walking through gates and never finding the right exit.

A woman approached them as they dismounted. She ran to Camen and threw her arms around his neck as he held her tightly and kissed the top of her blonde hair which lay in a long plait down her back. She was dressed as Iyla would imagine cowboys to dress in the Wild West, but without the hat. Hardwearing trousers, leather boots and jacket and a linen shirt gave her a no-nonsense, tough look, betrayed by her delicate features and petite frame.

"My wife, Helen," Camen introduced her, "She looks after the horses here at the castle."

Helen hugged them all, including Darrok and Lorcan who were smiling for the first time since Iyla had met them, their gruff demeanour softened by the woman's presence. There were tears in Helen's eyes as she hugged Sam the tightest, "Samian," she said, "We have missed you so much!"

Sam smiled down at her the looked at Camen accusingly, "You didn't tell me you two were married now," he said, and with a twinkle in his eye, "I can remember catching you both in the stables that last summer..."

"Ok, ok" Camen stopped him, his cheeks pink, "That's enough reminiscing." he turned to his wife, "Do the King and Queen know we are here?"

"Yes," she said, "We received word from the first gate when you arrived. They are waiting for you in the Great Hall. You are earlier than expected though my love," Camen's jaw clenched and she frowned, "What happened?"

"We were attacked by a large pack of Amarok," he said, "Thank goodness a group of Elves showed up just in time, we were outnumbered, it was far too close." He looked grim and Iyla could see he felt responsible. He was being too hard on himself of course, she had been amazed and hugely impressed with how he and the other knights had fought off the Amaroks so bravely, putting their own lives on the line for her.