Unicorn

Iyla and Bill found they were holding their breath but Sam seemed much more relaxed, "It's ok," he said, "Go and take a look."

Together, and not entirely trusting their safety, Bill and Iyla walked quietly into the trees, with Sam close behind, until they could see the source of the sound. Iyla gazed in wonder at the sight before them. In a clearing just a short distance away, a great black horse with a grey mane and tail stood with its back towards them, peacefully grazing. It was enormous with a powerful looking body, thick strong neck and huge hooves but it was as it turned its head to the side, as if sensing them watching, that Iyla gasped. The horse had a horn right in the middle of it's head above its eyes, a large dangerous looking horn that was scratched and scarred as if it had seen a few battles in its time.

"Is that - is that a unicorn?" Bill whispered.

"Indeed it is," said Sam, clearly enjoying their wonder.

"I always thought a unicorn would be delicate looking, you know, like they are in stories, graceful and timid." said Iyla softly, unable to take her eyes off it.

"Yeah well that thing looks like a cross between a shire horse and a rhino," said Bill with a slightly nervous edge to his voice.

Mesmerised, Iyla began to walk towards the creature, which still had its back to them.

"Woah there," Bill held her back by the arm, "My Nan told me to never walk behind a horse," He nodded towards the animals hooves, "Imagine what they can do with those things if you surprise them. Not to mention the bloody great horn sticking out of its forehead, I wouldn't be walking round the front of it either."

"Your friend gives good advice, unicorns are very dangerous if caught off guard." said Camen in a low voice, appearing alongside them. Bill jumped, "Camen don't sneak up on people like that!" he said, forgetting for a moment, his awe of the knights.

"I can't help it," said Camen, looking apologetic, "We Elves are very light on our feet."

"You've obviously never seen Iyla play netball then," said Bill, "The words 'fairy' and 'elephant' spring to mind."

"Ha ha," said Iyla in her best sarcastic tone, "That was before my Elfin side developed wasn't it? I could say a few things about your football skills."

Bill shrugged, "I was rubbish at football," he said, "But if they'd done horse riding in P.E. I think I could have shown everyone a thing or two."

Iyla spread her arms as wide as she could, "Watch out, Timmons' ego coming through!" They all laughed as quietly as they could, anxious not to disturb the majestic creature that watched them warily.

"I just came to tell you, Grimp has decided it's time for breakfast." said Camen, "Don't be far behind me, we must stay close to one another."

"We're coming," Sam said and Iyla looked pleadingly at him.

"Can we just want to watch it a little longer? We are only a couple of metres away from you."

"Just a minute then", said Sam.

"Don't get too close," Camen advised and left with Sam as quietly as he'd arrived.

As they watched the unicorn, Iyla looked at Bill out of the corner of her eye, "I've never heard you mention any of your family members before." She saw Bills body tense, as it always had done when asked a personal or awkward question. However, he relaxed almost immediately, the longer they knew each other, the easier he was finding it to open up.

"Nan's the only other family member I know about," said Bill, "I used to live with her when mum went on her benders. She died when I was 8."

"I'm sorry. You don't have to tell me if you don't want to."