To Cinia

It was a three day journey to Cinia and despite yet another terrible nights sleep, it was not long before Iyla was feeling much more at peace. This was largely because they were travelling through the forest once more and having her bare feet in contact with the ground, the whispering of the trees all around her and a sprinkling of sunlight falling through the tree canopy onto her shoulders had an immediate calming effect. She had decided she couldn't hope to deal with everything that was happening or could happen in one go. She would take it in stages, this stage being the journey to Cinia. With all other thoughts locked firmly away, this stage was proving to be a very pleasant one.

Everyone had given her a wide berth for the remainder of the previous day. Bill had turned up at her door later that evening with an offering of small sweet cakes that Elvia had passed on to him and Iyla had been glad to see him.

"I'm sorry I was such a brat," she had said between cakes.

Bill had shrugged, "I don't think you were a brat," he'd said, "And I don't think anyone else does either. The things you are learning about yourself and about what you might have to face one day, Iyla, I think I'd have gone nuts by now."

"Thanks," she'd said, but she still felt bad. It was hard to lift her mood though, with everything that was running through her head.

Their new group was seven strong. In addition to Iyla, Bill and Sam were three Cinian knights and Alonah. They also had another three companions in the form of Grimp who was sat on the horse that Iyla was presently walking alongside, and Pandra and Nuriel who they couldn't see, but Iyla knew they were not far away. Grimp did not seem at all perturbed to perched so high on such a large animal; in fact he seemed to relish the idea of falling off. Having discovered the dangerous role Iyla may need to play in saving their world from Kade, the little creature seemed in a constant state of mild panic that she would die, leaving him with an unpaid debt and a one way ticket to Undra. This had resulted in a disturbing desire to carry out dangerous tasks for Iyla if at all possible, in the hope that he may meet an untimely end whilst helping her, the ultimate repayment for her saving his life of course and guaranteed entrance through the Grimp version of the pearly gates.

"Perhaps you would like Grimp to seek out a wild boar for dinner this evening?" He had enquired as they'd left Haven, "Perhaps Grimp will be captured and eaten by the boar?" There had been a hopeful tone to his voice and Iyla had laughed, telling him that wouldn't be necessary. Grimp's shoulders had sagged in defeat and, had his features not been so squashed and twisted, Iyla was sure his disappointment would have been evident.

The rest of their group were all on horseback, they had slowed for a short while to allow the horses some rest and give Iyla chance to commune with the forest. Camen, first knight to King Alaric of Cinia and half Elf himself had noticed Iyla's bad mood when they met at Haven and had been very diplomatic in quietly mentioning to Sam that if her feet could have regular contact with the forest floor, the journey might be much more pleasant for all of them.

Camen had the height and grace of an Elf and the calming, reassuring presence. He was broader though and more muscular, his jaw more square and his features slightly more rugged. His sandy, blonde hair was quite long and his bright green eyes, which suggested again at his Elfin heritage, had a glint and a twinkle that the serious gaze of many Elves did not. He seemed friendly and was happy to answer the many questions both Iyla and Bill had about Cinia, once he had caught up with Sam, who he was clearly overjoyed to see again. Camen had been a teenager when the Samian he knew had left Dragon's Keep to go to the stricken Elfin village where Iyla's family had been wiped out and he had never expected to see him again once he had learned what had happened.