42. What You Can't See

Začít od začátku

"Why don't you just ask her out?"

"She wouldn't say yes."

"How do you know?"

"You know what the papers said." Harry says glumly as the carriage is pulled away. I place a hand on his shoulder. The others join us and Hermione takes my hand in hers. Neville shows up too, with... some kind of plant.

"Hi guys."

"Hey Neville." We say as another carriage comes towards us. Harry stares at the thing pulling it. It looks like a mix between an ostrich and a horse.

"What is it?" Harry asks.

"What's what?" Ron replies.

"That. Pulling the carriage."

"Nothing's pulling the carriage, Harry." Hermione states.

"Yeah there is. These things have been pulling the carriages as long as I can remember." I defend, walking towards it. The horse-thing bows its head and I rub it. "They like me." Hermione gives me a strange look when another girl speaks up.

"You're not going mad." We all come around to see an unfamiliar blonde and Ava. The unfamiliar one lowers her book - which is upside-down anyway - and smiles, "We see them too. You're just as sane as we are." We join her in the carriage. Hemione seems a little on edge, she's holding my hand with both of hers. Ron sits next to Ava almost more on edge than Hermione. Hermione stares dead at our newest acquaintance.

"Everyone, this is Loony Love-" She stops prompting all eyes on her. She looks down and swallows as I decide to pick this up later. "Luna Lovegood." Hermione corrects herself before looking away. "What an interesting necklace."

"It's a charm actually. It keeps away the nargles." Now everyone's silent. "I'm hungry. Hope there's pudding." The horse-thing starts to move forward and other than Ava and Luna's chatter, there's not much sound. Neville seems a little nervous around Luna, hell, I am too. I'm intrigued. She seems to know something I don't. I push her out of my thoughts and look at Hermione. She's chewing her lip.

"What's up, Cinnabon?" I whisper.

"We'll talk about it later." She sighs. I nod and kiss her on the temple.

At dinner, after the sorting, we're being avoided. Specifically Harry. The look of contempt on Harry's face is saddening as Dumbledore stands to speak, "Good evening, children." he greets, silencing the school, "Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We are pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank who'll be taking Care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave. We also wish to welcome our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge."

"That's the lady from court." I whisper, "She wanted us in jail."

"She what?" Hermione demands, shooting daggers at the woman.

"I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck." Dumbledore finalises. "Now as usual, our caretaker, Mr. Filch has asked me to remind you-" Bubblegum clears her throat, cutting Dumbledore off before she stands up, ready to make a speech.

"Who knows, maybe she's really an okay person?" I try to be optimistic. Hermione keeps shooting daggers. "She can't be worse than Lockhart." I state.

"Thank you, Headmaster, for those kind words of welcome." I already hate her. "And how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me." Literally nobody is smiling. "I'm sure we'll all be very good friends."

"That's likely." The twins say in unison.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance." Now she starts pacing the stage, "Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school, progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected and prune practises that ought to be prohibited." She gives a throaty giggle that gives me an immediate headache before strolling to her seat.