Chapter Fourteen: Trapped in Red Roses

Start from the beginning

"Maybe it's the scary movie we watched last night?" Susan asked, wiping her green glasses on her towel.

I nodded, "Maybe, I don't know, but it was really bad and the smell of roses was... ch-choking me, I-"

"Oh my gosh, it's my new perfume" Annie said, nervously. "I just sprayed a little, I didn't know it'll..."

I raised my head up. "I'm fine, it's fine, Annie. Sorry for worrying you guys."

"Is everything okay here?" Dad asked, coming to check up on us.

"Hi, Mister Jimmy!" Susan grinned, holding her towel closer to herself.

"Gah!" Dad exclaimed, backing away from her so fast he nearly fell over his own feet. "Miss McNamara, you're here."

I shook my head. Among the list of dudes Susan had ever crushed on was my poor father and she did not hide it. I actually found it funny since Dad thought she was extremely annoying.

"Susan, back away from the man." Annie ordered.

"I didn't do anything," Susan giggled heartily like a child with candy. She was so weird!

The doorbell rang from downstairs and I took that as my cue to stand up.

"I'll get it!" Dad and I said together and we hurried downstairs.

"Breakfast in five, get the door" He said, changing his route to the kitchen.

The news channel was on and I paused when I got to the doorway. There was a man reported dead from a few days ago.
"...Yale Griffin, age 57. The charred remains of his body was found in his burned cacao field at the outskirts of the town. It was a suicide act and the last note this farmer wrote is evidence of this..."

My ears tuned out of the news as I stared at the photo of the man on the screen. I knew for sure it wasn't a suicide. It was a set up and...I knew who did all of this, she still haunted my nightmares...

The doorbell rang again, making me nearly jump out of my skin
"H-hold on!" I called and opened the door.
I froze.

There he was, Hale.

Worst of all, with a full bouquet of red, red roses and a forced, plastic smile.
My tummy churned and I tightened my grip on the door because my knees were about to give way.
No, not my dream coming to life.

"What's wrong with you now?" He asked, exasperated.

"N-nothing" I stammered. "Why are you here?"

"Let me in" He said, icily.

"Who is it, Violet?" Dad called from the kitchen.

"Come in" I told Hale, opening the door wider.

"Ugh, no way" Annie scoffed, putting her hands on her hips the moment she saw Hale step into the enterance corridor. "What is he doing here?"

"Why is she here?!" Hale exclaimed, looking genuinely stupefied.

"Who are those yelling in my house?" Dad asked, peeking into the corridor from the living room.

"Lemon caaakkkkeeee!" Susan screamed, running down the stairs, past us and into the living room.

"What's wrong with that child?" Dad asked under his breath with a sigh.

"Come here, Violet's Daddy" I heard Susan purr and Dad's eyes widened in fear as the bespectacled demon in the living room dragged him away.

"I think I came at the wrong time" Hale observed, dryly.

"Everytime you come here is the wrong time" Annie said sweetly. "Try something here, Frances and you'll hate yourself. You're on our turf now."

Hale glared at me, "are you going to just stand there and let her talk to me like that?"

"Why are you here, Hale?" I asked, quietly, shakily taking the roses from his grasp. They didn't look so red right now, no blood.

"To speak to your father about Paris, of course, since you can't do it. I have to do everything myself in this relationship." Hale said, his brown eyes regarding me with scorn.

He actually still thought this was a relationship. I'd dumped him ages ago... he just didn't know about it.

"You're such a butt" Annie stated, watching him enter the living room. Then she turned on me and widened her eyes. "Girl say something! You can't just keep shut while he walks all over you like that! Why are you so afraid of him in your own house?"

"I-" What was I supposed to say? Hale was only part the problem, the big issue was his mother! Beneath the disguise of a beautiful, perfect business woman was an evil murderer who had so much money and power and she was onto me! "I'll try" I whispered and Annie sighed, walking into the living room with me following behind her.

"...opportunities you say." Dad was saying thoughtfully and my heart sank to the bottom of my shoes.
He turned to me with a smile. "Why didn't you say anything about Paris with Hale? You love Paris, you've always wanted to go see the Eiffel tower."

"But...but I'm- you said I was grounded and I..." I stammered, it was like the world was swept out from under my feet.

"You still are, young lady, but Paris is next week, you'll be free by then" Dad laughed softly. "I'm not grounding you forever or anything. Funny enough, it's perfect timing since I'll also be gone on my trip, I was really reluctant to leave you home alone."

"Perfect," Hale turned to grin at me and I nearly took a step back in fear. "Any more excuses or do I have to bring my mother to convince you?" He was laughing but it was a threat, not a bad joke.

My eyes darted to the photo of the Late Yale Griffin that was still on the screen and I immediately shook my head. "No, I'll go."

Date him or else, Franca had said.
Or else.

~UwU~

Let me be honest, I'm scared for this girl.
Why do I have to be so messed up and scare myself?! [Cry]

Anyways, please vote the chapter. I love you!

Rhodes.