18: Keeping A Promise

'Miyu, do you have a moment?' Yui tries to get to her. 

'I don't, actually. Sorry, Yui.' Miyu feels a hand on her shoulder and is teleported to her bedroom. She doesn't have to look to see who it is. Instead, she writes an address down. 'Do you know where this is?' 

Laito nods. 'I do.' 

Miyu turns around. 'Good. Can you take me there now? You too, I could use your help.' She checks her pockets. 

'Are we playing games again? That hide and seek game was fun.' Laito teleports them away. 

'Yes, a game of life or death.' Miyu can't think of anything to get answers. She uses the key and lets them inside. 'For every wrong answer or no answer, you can bite. It would be a waste of blood when I know you.' 

Laito is right behind her. 'And who do you want to interrogate?' 

'My mother. Who else would know everything about me?' She goes upstairs and he follows her. And she'll never expect this. In the hall, she runs into her mother. 

'Miyu?' Sleepy, the woman rubs her eyes and wants to go back to bed. 'Impossible, I'm still asleep.' 

Miyu chuckles. 'I'm here, mother.' And I know exactly how to scare her. 'To the cemetery, Laito.' 

'I would love to.' Laito holds Miyu and grabs the woman's shoulder. 'You're coming with us.' His voice has an edge to it. 

*** 

The moment they arrive there, the woman screams and backs away. 'Miyu!' 

'And Laito,' he introduces himself with a laugh. 'Pleasure to meet you.' 

Miyu sees her mother trip and fall. 'There is no escape possible. He's the one who can teleport. Not me.' She takes a few steps toward her mother. 'Now, who's my father?' 

'I-I don't k-know,' stutters the woman with fear in her wide-open eyes. 

'Go ahead, Laito.' Miyu raises her eyebrows when he bites the woman. I'm sure he prefers my blood by now. 'For every answer, I don't like... he will bite. Who's my father?' 

The woman cries because of the pain in her neck. 'Miyu, please...' 

'You better answer her because I don't like your blood. I prefer to taste her blood.' Laito shows no mercy and bites once more. 

'I mean it...' sobs the woman. 'The letter said to isolate you when you turned five. You were changing into something else. But I don't know how or what into...' She looks anxiously at the man behind her. He licked my neck too. Why is that? 

Miyu crosses her arms. 'It doesn't matter if I was changing into something else. I asked you who my father is. And the letter? If it's about me, I want to know what was in it.' 

'Just answer the question.' Laito grows tired of it and stands beside Miyu. 'I have to get rid of her taste.' 

Miyu takes her hair to one side. 'Make her watch.' She whispers to him. 

'I like this side of you, Little Vixen.' Laito goes behind her and, with his eyes on the woman, he bites her neck. 

'Miyu, I'm not exactly proud of it.' She swallows to keep her nausea under control. Seeing her daughter being bitten doesn't help much. 'It happened two years before I met your stepfather. I was at rock bottom and needed help and money badly. I met him for an experiment...' Her voice trembles. 

Laito lets Miyu go. 'An experiment?' He grabs the woman by her neck. 'What was his name?' 

The woman gasps for air. 'He told me that he could not give his real name. Please, air?' She begs him.