Preview of "Forever in Love" (Montana Brides, Book 2)

"What the heck?" Nathan dropped his pen and stared through the window of his father's office. The half-light of dusk painted the Montana ranch in a soft pink glow, almost picture-perfect if it weren't for the blue pickup truck roaring down the gravel driveway. Its horn cut through the still evening air, tapping out a tuneless masterpiece that set his trouble radar humming.

He grabbed his jacket and headed toward the front door, wondering what mischief his sister had gotten up to this time.

Sally stopped her truck, leaping out of the cab before he'd made it off the porch.

"What's wrong?" he asked, not trusting the grin plastered across her face.

"Nothing's wrong."

Nathan had seen that smile too many times over the last twenty-seven years not to know something was going on.

"Guess who I've got in the truck?"

Nathan glanced at the tinted windows. Sally had a soft spot for strays, and she'd brought home more tourists and animals than anyone else he knew. Last time she'd said those words his parents had ended up playing host to a family from Los Angeles. They'd been looking for an authentic cowboy vacation. It hadn't occurred to Sally that her parents might not want to show off their sprawling cattle ranch to city-slickers, or that they'd come smack bang in the middle of calving.

But then Sally didn't often think beyond the first impulsive idea that streaked through her brain.

He walked across the yard. "You know Mom and Dad won't be back for another week, so you'd better make other arrangements."

"You're such a grump." Sally spun toward the truck as the passenger door opened. "Ignore him. He's having a mid-life crisis."

A snort of laughter filled the air. A ladylike snort that reminded him of someone he knew. A blonde head appeared, pitching his heart into the soles of his boots.

"Amy? What are you doing here?" A long time ago she'd brushed him out of her life faster than a mosquito buzzing around her head. Cold, heartless and so damn fast he hadn't seen it coming. His parents and sister were the only people alive who could convince her to come back and visit – and that hadn't been often.

Sally poked him in the ribs. "That's a great welcome for someone you haven't seen in ages."

"You didn't tell him?" A blush as red as the setting sun washed across Amy's face.

"I thought Mom would have, but he's here now. You tell him."

Amy's gaze skimmed across the ranch and settled on Nathan's face. He yanked the collar of his jacket higher, the warm sheepskin protecting him from the bitter wind and questions he didn't want to answer.

"I'm moving back to Bozeman," Amy said. "Your mom and dad offered me a place to stay until I find somewhere to live."

Nathan went perfectly still. Memories of her last visit tumbled through his head, leaving him confused, worried and angrier than he had a right to be. "I thought you liked living in Chicago. What changed your mind?"

Sally moved to the back of the truck. "Save the questions for later, Nathan. I want to get everything unloaded while there's still some daylight left." She flipped the tailgate open and stared at the bags. "Besides, we've got more in here than two hot women and a mountain of suitcases."

His sister had outdone herself this time. He waited for the sound of a dog barking or a cat screeching. "You didn't stop at the animal shelter, did you?"

"I'm trying to keep away. Dad said if I brought him another dog that's afraid of cows he'd make me come home and look after it." Sally pushed a suitcase into his chest. "Make yourself useful and take this inside."