Chapter Three

The next morning, Gracie's alarm clock rattled her out of a deep sleep. Crawling out of bed, she headed for the bathroom. Whoever said traveling around the world was an adventure had forgotten about jet lag. Her mind might be ready for action, but her body felt like metal plates had been strapped to her feet.

After a quick shower, she threw on a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt. With her last shoelace pulled tight, she opened her carry-on and took out a piece of paper. Written in black ink were ten names. Three men listed as James Green and seven J. Greens. Some of the names had addresses scribbled beside them, others had birth dates. All were strangers. One could be her father.

Smoothing out the edges, she studied the names for a few minutes before leaving the list on her bedside table. She'd felt like a modern day Sherlock Holmes tracking down clues about a man she'd never met.

After working out her father didn't live at the last address her mom had kept, she'd spent hours on the Internet searching phone directories, business guides and newspaper articles. She'd saved every scrap of information, hoping it might bring her one step closer to finding him.

Staying on the ranch until Gerald got back hadn't been part of her plan, but with any luck she'd be able to catch a ride into town with someone and hire a car. She had two months to find a man who had disappeared out of her life. Two months, ten names, and a lifetime of questions.

With a final glance around her bedroom, she walked out the door.

Adele was standing with her back to the landing, stacking fresh linen in the hall cupboard.

"Thank you for dinner last night. The chicken was delicious."

"You're welcome, Gracie. Go to the kitchen and help yourself to anything you want. If you feel like something warm, there's fresh bacon and flapjacks cooling on the counter." Adele turned back to the cupboard. "Oh, I nearly forgot. Trent said to tell you to meet him at the barn if you're awake before eight o'clock."

"Thanks." Gracie's mouth started to water at the smell of delicious food wafting through the house. She glanced down at her watch. After a quick breakfast and an even quicker look in the local phone directory, she'd definitely be at the barn before eight.

* * *

Gracie's sneakers crunched on the gravel as she walked across the yard. She filled her lungs with clean, fresh, morning air and smiled at the sight of the barn.

Like the house, it was huge. Standing at least three stories high and painted bright red with white trim, the barn looked like something out of a movie set. A dozen doors opened into a large corral that was empty except for a couple of dogs running around in the sun. A piercing whistle filled the still air and the dogs took off toward a fence. Within seconds Trent appeared, walking a black horse out of the barn. The dogs came to a screaming halt, waiting patiently while he tied the horse's lead to the fence.

Trent looked up as Gracie got nearer and she pretended not to notice just how good he looked in blue plaid. Or the way his eyes crinkled at the corners when he smiled in that slow, contagious way that set her heart rate fluttering.

"Morning, sleepyhead. Glad you could make it."

"Me too," Gracie managed without tripping over her tongue. The children in her class would be jumping up and down like hot beans in a fry pan if they could see the cowboy standing in front of her. "If I hadn't set my alarm, I wouldn't be here. Jet lag is messing with my body." Reaching down, she patted the dogs. "What are their names?"

"The one on the left is Rufus, the other one is Spot."

Both dogs snuggled closer as she rubbed behind their ears. They looked like a cross between German Shepherds and Dingoes.