Chapter 25

Carter's POV

You've gotta be kidding me.

He doesn't know when to quit. He's fucking here!

"Carter, talk to me," Michelle is doing her best to comfort me but I'm practically shaking as my back is against the wall.

"Just when I thought I could take a step forward with music, the school is out for me," I was hiccuping tears.

"I don't think they're out for you, no no no," Michelle gives me a hug.

"You don't understand," my breath shuddered.

"That was Raheem, he was the one that I-

That half sentence alone made Michelle's eyes darken with sadness as she now understands the possibilities of his presence being here.

"That was the one you beat in your grad year before you went mia due to your injuries.. the concert drew attention and now he's here for a rematch..." Michelle connects the dots and I nodded my head too scared to admit it.

"Carter, you were great then and you sure as hell pack a punch now," she softly smiles at me and I tried to smile back- I know she's trying but it's not helping.

"Carter.." Eleanora's voice freezes my tears and I look down the hall to see her with mixed emotions of anger, concern and fear at the sight of me crying.

I paid no mind, I ran to her and clung onto her and nuzzled my head into her trying to escape. Eleanora's arms wrapped me tightly and I couldn't help but cry harder. I don't want to do this, I thought this was done with all of this last year.

"I don't want to," i hiccuped.

"Trust the feeling's mutual," Michelle rubbed her hand on my back and Eleanora remained quiet as her hands slip to the back of my neck gently massaging the bottom of my scalp with her finger tips.

I could fall asleep with her doing that, my biggest weakness...

"Carter, you don't have to speak, I know you're listening, even when I'm not speaking directly to you, you're listening..." Eleanora starts and I remained attentive lingering to the comforting sound of her voice.

"I don't want to do this anymore than you," she continues and I grip her dress even harder as she returns the feeling.

"But it's beyond my abilities," I almost winced knowing where this is going.

"Which is why..." she pulls away from me to lift my chin and forces me to look her in the eyes.

I softly gasped as I was stunned at the sight of Eleanora's eyes being filled with tears waiting to fall from her lashes.

"I need you to give me your best. Once more, give me your best. I know you're tired, I know because I remember how tired I was after my first concert. I couldn't sleep and eat for days after the rush of adrenaline overpowering my body. It pains me more than you know... more than anyone else would ever know with how wrong the system here in this department has wronged you. Michelle knows, I know, everyone here knows that once an audition is held and a seat is given, it is set in stone- paper and pen that you are the rightful musician to that seat," she turns her head to blink away tears and Michelle comes to the side to hug us both.

"B-but I thought this was just an expedition!" I cried and I realized I was making Eleanora shake with so much emotion being pent up.

"Raheem wants your seat- surely to just flaunt about how much of a quote on quote better musician he is, but Carter promise me..." her brown eyes burn through me.

"Anything..." I blubbered and she broke a laugh wiping my tears.

"Give me your all. I will be right there with you, all I ask is for your all," she kisses the top of my head and finally lets loose of me.

"I'll be sure to call her parents. Carter, everything will be alright," Michelle gives me one last good squeeze before dialing her phone to contact my parents.