Chapter Three

Wybren Academy! ...Wybren Academy?

Artturi pulled his hand away from the man named Llewellyn, frowning. "What?"

"I-," Llewellyn stared down at his hand, before facing Artturi. "Well, I'm inviting you to become a student at the academy I teach at. If it is money you are concerned about, please do not fret. I'm sure I can convince the council to allow a unique individual such as yourself to come up with some kind of deal. It may prove a tad bit difficult since the semester starts in about one week from now, but I promise that it is not impossible."

"Uh, no no. I- I am not-" Artturi took a deep breath. "What's Wybren Academy?"

While maybe he was not as social as Mari around the travelers and merchants that ventured and spread their stories in Chrossili's main square, he definitely was not ignorant to what they had to say. If this "Wybren Academy" was as prestigious as this man said it was, how come it was never brought up? You would think that a famous foci school would be spoken of in passing conversation to children still attending their local schools. Wouldn't it? In Llewellyn's defense, Artturi had to admit that travelers were wary about subjects involving the lifestyles of children much more privileged than theirs. Such stories could inspire hope, but more often than not left adults with an empty feeling, knowing that this hope would fade away as reality set in.

"Oh! You mean Wyvern Academy, mister?" Mari interjected. She put her hands on her hips with a cheeky smile. "I know all about that place. It's where all the rich grown-ups go and do rich grown-up stuff. Remember that, Turi?"

"Grown-ups?" Llewellyn laughed. "I suppose that for kids your age, older teenagers must seem like grown-ups. Speaking of which, how old are you?"

"Wyvern Academy!" Arturri clapped his hands together, ignoring the question. "I should have made that connection. It does sound very similar."

Wyvern Academy was supposedly an amazing school located in the northern city of Flodau. There were many other smaller trade schools surrounding it, but the Academy stood above the rest. With gorgeous gardens and marble buildings, it was described as a wonder to see. Apparently, it also had the most impressive library in all of Afallach as well! All the students there were nobles skilled in magic, and Artturi now realized that this could've included foci users too. The merchants who passed by Chrossili stated that only the finest products were imported there in exchange for enchanted weapons and other magical goods.

Artturi had wished at the time to be able, at least once, to see Flodau. Not knowing that he possessed something special, Artturi never thought that being a student there would be within his reach. He had hope however that, one day, he would be able to see Flodau, and that would be enough for him. To have the latter of his wishes come true, and under such peculiar circumstances, was too much for him to comprehend. That's why it sounded too good to be true. Surely, a professor from such an enchanting school-- a school that fascinated Artturi, wouldn't conveniently appear before him and he would conveniently be found to have control over some unprecedented ability. He didn't even know how this man could tell that he had this amazing skill. It couldn't possibly be--

"Fate?"

Artturi jerked his head up, unaware that he had been caught up in his thoughts to not recognize that Llewellyn had taken out his book again and had begun to scribble one of the stars. "How did you...?"

"You had this look on your face that I've seen before. From awe to disbelief, you must have considered that something was not possible." He smiled. "Disbelief is an emotion I should be showing instead. After all, I am a scholar of foci and, while I was dreaming, a boy possessing something unique that could change my whole life's work waltzed out from a patch of trees. Take no offense, but my thoughts waver into thinking that I am still within a dream." The star he had shaded began to bubble and twist out of the page. A small book took shape and Llewellyn caught it in his hands before it could hit the page. "Here," he said, handing the book to Artturi. "Oh, and also, it's Wybren Academy. I really do not understand why those students keep saying otherwise. It causes such unnecessary confusion."

Artturi cautiously took the book from his hands. It was so impressively bound to start with. Definitely a stark difference from the magic notebook it had come out of. In bold white letters were the words HANDBOOK FOR THE STUDENTS OF WYBREN ACADEMY above a detailed illustration of a dragon with two legs instead of four-- a wyvern. Most likely, it was a mascot. "I can see why they call it that," Artturi said, flipping the book over that looked just as ornate as the front. "And I think I trust you. Not anyone would have a book as good as this." He brought the book back toward Llewellyn.

Llewellyn shook his hands in front of him. "I did not give it to you so that you would believe me. It's yours to read and consider."

"You're giving it to me?"

"Y-yes? Every student gets one. Ah, but you can keep it even if you decide that you don't want to be a student now... Or ever..." Artturi could swear that he saw him pout at the end of his sentence.

He looked back down at the book. "Thank you, Mr. Glines. I still don't know what to say or what to believe though. I am not even sure if I believe in myself. You say that I have this spirit water focus, but how do you even know for sure that what you see is true?"

"Seeing is believing, this is true. Yet, one cannot see until they know what they are looking for. I knew what I needed to see, and it is my hope that I can help you see it too."

Artturi stood silent, once again lost in his thoughts, when they were both interrupted by a boisterous voice.

"It's a magic school, Turi! You need to go! You'd be, like, a wizard," Mari gasped. "Do you know how cool it would be to be friends with a wizard? You could have a magic book like this mister too!" She ran in front of Artturi and beamed up at Llewellyn. "Would we be able to visit him over there?"

Llewellyn smiled and patted the top of Mari's head. "He'd definitely be able to meet you while school is not in session."

Finally, Artturi finally understood why he had been circling around Llewellyn's proposal with question after question. There was nothing to lose if he accepted, other than the family he had known and loved all these years. They needed him too! His focus allowed them to live more comfortably than the other villages during this drought.

But, this opportunity could also prove to be a way to help them, right? Spirit water had the unique ability to heal wounds and injuries. This by itself was invaluable, and Artturi could only imagine how much more its capabilities would increase if Llewellyn was his guide. Maybe he'd even be able to cure diseases. Additionally, living in the city of Flodau for an extended period of time could give him the time to spread the word about Chrossili's worth as a trading destination. Maybe, he could even get a job as an apprentice. That seemed like justification enough.

"If I did accept, how would I pay you back?"

"You're considering it?" Llewellyn could barely hold back the cheer on his face. He coughed to clear his voice, before answering, "Think nothing of how you shall pay me back. No, actually, there is a way you'd be able to pay me back, and that is by becoming the best focus user you possibly can. And letting me occasionally see how you are progressing too, if that's alright." He brushed his fingers through his green beard. "I understand the need for independence. A handful of students exchange enchanted objects made during workshop classes for change and I'm aware of some students taking up faculty roles in exchange for reduced school costs, but we could talk more about that at the school itself."

That all sounded fair. If anything, it sounded like it'd be more in Artturi's favor. The boy already started considering if maybe he could make money on the side by working as a gardener or maybe even a chef. He could make a pretty good apple pie.

Why am I acting like I know I'll go? Artturi looked up at the sky. It was nearing mid-afternoon. "Thank you once again, Mr. Glines, for offering me this. It's all a bit much. Um... Would it be alright if I ask our matriarch for her opinion?" He sheepishly scratched the back of his head.

"Of course. Your request is very reasonable and I'd be delighted to meet her," said Llewellyn. "Please, lead the way."

Artturi hadn't expected that he would want to come along, but maybe it was better that way. Paderau would certainly have questions and Llewellyn would be able to answer them better than he ever could. Plus, a warm bowl of the leek and potato soup could be the first step toward repaying his kindness. Already, he owed him whatever the equivalent of three candies and one handbook would be. Clutching the aforementioned handbook to his chest, he nodded.

"Can we come too?" Mari asked expectantly.

"Follow me."