"It isn't that. I simply... I... I'm not sure if I ought to say this to you."

"If you don't want to, it's alright."

"I wish to. But you cannot tell Rebekah. You must not."

"I'll keep your secret, Nik."

"I killed my mother."

"Why?" she asked simply, which caught him off guard. He expected a gasp. Or for her to pull away. But she hardly reacted. She preferred to know more before judging him at all.

"In my rage, after she performed the spell that suppressed my werewolf abilities."

"Do you regret it?"

"Some days. Other days, I feel that I gave her what she deserved. Go on. You have my permission to tell me what a wretched man I am."

"Stefan killed our father. I was bitter for a while, but he had it coming. Anger... does things to us. Makes us do things we don't intend to. It happens and you can't take it back. You can only accept it and move on. I don't blame you. She never should have treated you that way. Nik..." she drew back, holding his face, "they were so awful to you. You didn't deserve that. You should have been loved no matter what. You were just a child. How could she have allowed your father to mistreat you so? For something that was her fault? I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

He could feel himself getting emotional, and he tried to force it down, but she reached her hand up, running her fingers through his hair. "It's okay," she said. "I don't judge. I will never, ever judge you for feeling. It's natural. There isn't anything wrong with it."

"You would have been a wonderful mother," Klaus said shakily.

She half-smiled. "And I think you would have been a wonderful father. What did you see yourself having, hmm? How many kids?"

"Oh, seven of course."

She giggled. "What, because you're one of seven?"

"Yes. You, three, I assume?"

"Two, actually. Being the middle child isn't fun, you know that. In some instances you're shoved aside and it isn't pleasant. I don't want only one, solely because I fear they may end up spoiled. It's silly that I even say it that way... considering I'll never be able to have children."

"I'm sure there are ways."

"Dark magic, yes. But I wouldn't wish to use that, it could have side effects on the child. Besides, I would have to fight the perfect man to be the father of my children, it can't be just anyone." She wiggled her eyebrows playfully. "Interested?"

A low chuckle rumbled in his chest as he kissed her. "Very."

"Make it stop," said Maddy desperately into her hands, which were covering her face to muffle her sobs. "God, please make it stop... it hurts..."

It wasn't actually causing her physical pain. But she thought that it was. Her skin tingled everywhere as she recalled what it was like to have his lips and hands moving over her body. The emotional overload was what was really making her perceive pain. She hated it. And yet she loved it.

"Let's go to Italy," he'd suggested, while she was posing for him in her favorite dress so that he could paint her. They'd been like this for hours already, and she was nearly done. "Perhaps there are Salvatore relatives there that you've never met."

"Mm, and then you can tell me all about the wine there," she cooed. "And you can bend me over a balcony overlooking the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Provided my relatives aren't nearby."