15. The ring

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
THE RING

AUGUSTINE LAWRENCE HATED TRAVELLING. The winding roads blurring into one, the rhythmic hum that continued to pester him. He hated it.

The only reason why he didn't jump out of the car and ditch the ride was because of Tom.

Tom, who sat stretched out besides him, spreading his long legs, head lolled back with his eyes closed.

"Tom?" He asked, it surprised him how odd his voice sounded. They'd sat in comfortable silence since the moment they stepped foot into the car, that was over two hours ago. He'd almost forgotten how he'd sounded.

He raised a brow in response.

"Have you seen your family before?"

Grey eyes meet him, "no, it'll be a first."

Augustine nodded, "will you be okay?"

"I will, I'll have you by my side," Tom closed his eyes again and Augustine smiled before turning to look out the window, feeling the heat rise to his cheeks.

Then the world would fade to black again, ready for morpheus to reign over his mind, to take him to the dream he kept revisiting. A dream he kept having since being with Tom.

It started like many of his dreams did. In the forbidden Forrest, once, long ago, his dreams looked similar. As if he knew the Forrest before he'd ever been there. Even at Beauxbatons, he would dream of it. It's spiralling trees and murky atmosphere.

And then there would be the boy, the boy with short hair, and that sick smile spreading across his face — Bunny, with all his charm.

Augustine would charge, with all his might and plunge the knife that was gripped tightly in his hand, stabbing rapidly until the vermillion stained his hands, and Bunny's wide eyes would go blank, not before whispering those three simple words.

It's too late.

And when he woke, he thought about the words, never changing, never quite understanding what they meant. Maybe it was for the best, or maybe Circe would know.

....

Finally, after another two hours, (and one pit stop later) they made it to the Gaunt Shack.

Once, long ago, The Gaunts were rich, purebloodied royality with money that could've lasted them a life time. However, due to gambling addictions, they threw it all away, now residing in a small, humble shack.

After getting out of the car, they both stood eyeing the shack. Tom, his eyes focused on the front, spoke distain evident, "well this looks promising,"

"At least it's cozy?" Augustine responded lightly, trying to make him feel better.

Tom rolled his eyes silently before charging towards the door, forcing Augustine to follow along behind him.

He reached the door when Tom had knocked several times. For such a lazy boy, Tom was impatient.

The door swung open after the fifth knock, opening to a rather slim man.

Augustine looked between them, uncle and nephew, the same sharp nose. The same grey, stoic eyes.

"Marvolo?" Tom enquired raising a brow.

"Morfin." The man corrected, "Marvolo was my father, do I know you?"

Then Tom smiled, "pleasure to meet you, I'm Tom, Merope's son."

Morfins pleasent face faltered, but only for a moment, "and who's this?" Nodding to Augustine, to which Augustine smiled.

"Augustine Lawrence,"