06. Out in the Woods we go

CHAPTER SIX
OUT IN THE WOODS WE GO

MAYBE AUGUST WAS JUST DESPERATE TO GET AWAY FROM JUNO AND HER FRIENDS. They spoke of gossip and unimportant subjects. Maybe he just wanted people with the same intellect (not Bunny) to speak with. Maybe he was just intrigued by Tom to think straight.

And that was why he was trudging through the forbidden forest with the rest of the knights, having said yes to Tom's deal. After this, he would be friends with the Knights.

"I have an idea," Bunny spoke into the silence as they trudged further into the darkness. August heard a groan from Abraxas before he spoke up.

"Merlins beard," Sighed Abraxas causing Bunny to glare at him.

"As I said, I have an idea," he continued in a grumble, glaring at Abraxas before resuming his cheery exterior, "seeing as we're called Knights of Walpurgis, why don't we have code names?"

"Shut up Bunny," Abraxas scowled, disinterested in the conversation and more interested about the mud on his shiny shoes, every so often, he would scowl at his feet, and try to rid the mud off of him.

He brought his hands up in defence, "hey! I think it's a good idea let me speak!"

Tom, from besides August, rolled his eyes playfully as they listened to the pair bickering. Tom had opted to walk besides August, who smiled to himself as they walked. It was an odd feeling that had taken hold of August — he revelled in it.

"So what're the code names?" August asked taking pity on the boy and raised a brow. He was actually interested in the conversation, sure the boy was stupid, but code names could be fun.

"Well, thank you so much July for that," Bunny exclaimed smirking.

August frowned, he wished he hadn't asked now.

"So for starters, Tom is Arthur, because you know, he's the leader," he started, air quotations when he spoke the word leader causing Tom to pull a face.

"Then, Abraxas can be merlin because he's a nerd," he pointed to Abraxas who swore at him with his fingers.

"Then, I'm Genevieve obviously,"

"Obviously?" August asked confused staring at Bunny with sceptic eyes.

"Well yeah, I'm the fittest,"

"Oh wow, that's definitely right," Abraxas spoke mockingly as he dodged a puddle of mush.

"You can be the dickhead no one remembers," Bunny retorted just ask quickly to Abraxas, "if you don't want to be Merlin, maybe August could be Merlin,"

"Why?"

"Because, he's like magical but more than us because of this freaky dead thing he does,"

"Prick," August spoke but a smile was forming at his lips, Bunny was growing on him with every second he was annoying Abraxas. Which he enjoyed thoroughly.

Bunny bowed, a smile so sweet he'd never realised it made Bunnys face nicer to look at. "you're so welcome Merlin,"

....

They had let Bunny hunt an animal down. Choosing a wild hare, which made August chuckle at the animal choice, he'd slowly approached it. Quietly for once in his short time of knowing August, and had stabbed it.

Honestly, August hadn't expected him to be any good. He thought they'd just let Bunny do it to entertain him for a bit, with his manic energy. It might calm him down, but he'd done it to August's surprise.

The Hare was laid down on the floor, the boys staring down at it. He'd asked why Reinhardt and Theo hadn't joined, they just told him that they weren't too interested in raising dead animals back from the dead.

As well as this, Theo apparently had a date. So he couldn't anyway.

They all stared at the hare, "now what?" Tom asked, eyes narrowed causing his brows to pull down.

"Did you get the stuff I asked for?" August asked simply, before he'd agreed, he did ask for certain things, ingredients if you will, to make the necromancy easier.

"Yes yes," Bunny started before slinging the messengers bag off from his broad frame. He rifled through it, August could hear sweet wrappers being crushed and moved about before Bunny pulled out a scalpel.

He passed it to August who smiled at the small blade.

"Why do you need that?" Abraxas asked unevenly, August smirked, realising the boy was afraid, having heard it was the weapon of choice for poor Marina.

"Well I'm doing necromancy? You know, reanimating the dead? Finding out a future maybe if you're into that?" August replied sarcastically.

"It's my talisman," August explained once Abraxas still looked confused. "You do know what that is don't you?"

"Of course I do," Abraxas said indigently.

"Do you have the rest?" He looked to Bunny raising a brow.

"Yep," and Bunny took out a carton of grape juice and another knife. He passed the carton of grape juice to August, who accepted it greatfully.

"Why grape juice?" Tom asked inspecting the carton.

"It's unfermented, so it symbolises decay, which I need or else I can't do it properly," August explained with a shrug before flicking the cap off of the carton. In one quick swig, it's down his throat. It was disgusting, causing Augustine to shrivel his nose up.

Then, Bunny with the other knife starts to cut the hare's hide off of it. Passing it to August, he nodded, "you'd make a good assistant," August joked lightly before laying it on his hand, letting the warmth soothe his cold hand.

Bunny perked up at his words, "really?"

August nodded with a smile, "did you get the last part?"

"Took me ages but yeah, if Sluggy asks where they are I don't think I that good of a liar," Bunny said pulling a face before bringing out a flask.

"Thanks,"

"What's that?" Tom asked, he'd forgotten Tom was looming over him alongside Abraxas.

"Blood, sacrificial animals bloods so like Goats, horses, birds stuff like that," August explained before opening the flask.

"Do you want me to just bring the animal back or . . do you want me to do some divination?" He asked casually, inspecting the boys.

"Like tell the future and stuff?" Bunny questioned excitedly, to which August nodded.

"Just bring it back," Tom spoke curtly, giving Bunny a glare.

"Fine, start chanting, its good if you really pronounce the words," August said looking to them.

They all nodded, "how long will this take?" Abraxas asked sternly, August could tell he didn't like being out in the cold, surrounded by dead things.

"An hour maybe? Two if we're unlucky? It's a small thing so it won't take long, if it were bigger, like a person, it'd take days, weeks maybe," august spoke calmly, it wouldn't work if they weren't all for it.

"Okay freak, do your thing,"

an/ the way I did research for this bc I didn't actually know what necromancers did ... also I really wanted scenes of August actually doing necromancy,,, bc like yeah he does it but I've never written abt it ,,, so here's ur first taste !!!! hope u like the chapter now that they're friends the chapters will pretty much be the same after this now !!