03. He'll handle it

CHAPTER THREE
HE'LL HANDLE IT

AUGUSTINE WAS IN A STATE OF MELANCHOLY WHEN HE AWOKE THAT MORNING. Maybe it was to do with the fact that their first term had finished, and Augustine would be leaving tomorrow with the rest of the Knights, apart from Tom and Theo — Theo hadn't spoken to anyone all week, I hopes of trying to teach himself Bulgarian before he left, apparently it wasn't going well, but he must've known he couldn't become fluent in Bulgarian in a week?

He still felt the melancholic edge when he spooned his cereal into his mouth at breakfast. Sitting besides Tom, who's head was stuck in his book, already having discarded his breakfast minutes ago, and Bunny, who was sitting making a tower out of toast — jam then chocolate spread, jam then chocolate spread, repeat.

He watched Bunny in amazement as he tries forcing it into his mouth, "you're such a pig," he stated staring in shock at him.

Abraxas, from where he sat opposite them, scrunched his straight nose up in disgust, "don't they teach you any manners on that farm you grew up on?"

He hadn't spoke much to Abraxas since the other night. It was as if he had been avoiding Augustine. He hoped not. He hoped this was the start of a friendship. He really did.

Bunny shrugged, mouth full of food, trying to speak, but his words were mumbled.

Augustine shook his head lightly, "I hope the rest of your family aren't like this,"

Bunny shook his head, finishing his mouthful he replied, "nah, them lot are well big on manners, dunno why though, not like we're posh like the rest of you,"

His tone came off mean, but Augustine knew he didn't mean it that way . He wasn't the one to take grudges against things people couldnt control. Augustine knew Bunny's family weren't as rich as the rest of their families, but they did try their hardest to fit in. As long as they were nice, Augustine didn't care if they were rich or not.

....

Later that day, Augustine was wandering the halls, after an extra lesson on Necromancy — seeing as his class was stopped due to the death of the only other classmate — he had decided to make his own way back to the dormitory, albeit a little slowly, he was always in a state of quickness with the Knights, mainly Bunny who never seemed to stop moving. So a change of pace was good.

He walked past the toilets, on his route back to the common room, his head numb from all the catch up work Master Toussaint forced him to do, his feet guiding him back without a need to think.

That's until he heard something. His head snapped upward at the sound and he brung himself to a halt. The sound of people, speaking caused him to stop, but he couldn't quite make out the words until he edged closer to the sound, coming from an abandoned classroom.

He pressed himself close to the door, the door open only by a crack, and peered in, he'd always been highly nosy.

". . . Please don't. . I won't talk to him ever again, I promise!" The voice said and Augustine blinked, realising that the voice belonged to Olive Hornby, so who was with her?

"Promises can be broken, we all know that. You know it best Hornby, I told you time and time again, and you still disobeyed." A male voice said, he tutted at her and shook his black curls turning only an inch. Augustine knew who the male voice belonged to, his curled black hair, his sharp jaw, it was Tom Riddle.