Three

We walked through a brightly lit corridor, and into the backstage area, just behind where I would be performing in a few minutes.

I could here the coaches talking to the person before me. I heard Ricky.
'I'm sorry I didn't turn.' He said. 'I'm just looking for that person who makes me feel their song. I'm waiting for that one person who can make me feel like I have a connection with them just from their sining. I'm just so sorry that wasn't you. But you have Will now, and I know you're going to do well with him.'

I was dreading that would happen to me. I was almost certain that Ricky would say that to me. I wasn't special. I wasn't anything that the other contestants were. I was just the same.

'You're up,' The man behind me said.

I walked the way up to the stage. I tried to forget as I was walking that I was about to perform in front of four singers and an audience.

I walked onto the stage and all I could hear was my shoes. I walked up to the michrophone, hands shaking. I looked up to the band, signalling for them to start.

'When your legs don't work like they used to before
And I can't sweep you off of your feet
Will your mouth still remember the taste of my love?
Will your eyes still smile from your cheeks?

And, darling, I will be loving you 'til we're 70'

A chair swung around. It was Rita. I felt like I had no breath left, but I had to keep going.

'And, baby, my heart could still fall as hard at 23
And I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways
Maybe just the touch of a hand
Well, me-I fall in love with you every single day
And I just wanna tell you I am

So honey now
Take me into your loving arms'

Tom turned around. Tom Jones. Tom who loads of people wish will turn around. He turned around for me. He actually turned.

'Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars
Place your head on my beating heart
I'm thinking out loud
That maybe we found love right where we are

When my hair's all but gone and my memory fades
And the crowds don't remember my name
When my hands don't play the strings the same way
I know you will still love me the same'

Then it was like all of my breath escaped. Ricky. Ricky Wilson turned around. For me. I actually couldn't believe it. It was like everything I had wished.

'Cause honey your soul could never grow old, it's evergreen
And, baby, your smile's forever in my mind and memory
I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways
Maybe it's all part of a plan
Well, I'll just keep on making the same mistakes
Hoping that you'll understand

But, baby, now
Take me into your loving arms
Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars
Place your head on my beating heart
Thinking out loud
That maybe we found love right where we are

So, baby, now
Take me into your loving arms
Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars
Oh, darling, place your head on my beating heart
I'm thinking out loud
That maybe we found love right where we are
Oh, baby, we found love right where we are
And we found love right where we are'

Will turned at the last minute.

All four. All four of them had turned. And here I was, no longer a nervous wreck. Suddenly filled with all of the confidence in the world.

Ricky was leaning on his elbows, smiling. Smiling. Ricky Wilson was smiling at me. Tom was leaning back in his chair, also smiling. And so were Will and Rita.

'Hey,' Ricky's voice came, making me realise that this was all real. That I was actually stood here.
'Hey,' I replied, laughing nervously.
'What's your name?' He asked.
'I'm Hazel Jones, eighteen, from Nottighamshire.' I said, and a cheer errupted from the audience.
'Wow.' Ricky said. 'I don't really know what else to say. You put emotion behind that, and not many people can do that. You really got that song right. Wow.' He said, making me laugh again.
'I'm speachless.' Rita said. 'Seriously.'
Tom butted in. 'I think that was one of the best performances of the series so far, Hazel.'
I turned to Will. 'That was just dope.' He said. 'Imagine a burger - you eat it but haven't looked at it yet, but when you see it, it tasted even better.'

Everyone laughed at that, including me. Will's metaphors were some of the weirdest.

'Hazel, what I'm saying is, if you come on my team, I will make that first bite taste even better.' Will said.
I nodded. 'Thanks, Will.' I said.
'Hey, Hazel?' Rita said. 'I don't sing in your style, but I sure want you on my team, because you are amazing!'
I couldn't believe what they were all saying. I really couldn't.
'I could work with you Hazel.' Tom said. 'I really think I could get along with you.'
I smilled. 'Thanks Tom.'

I looked over to Ricky. Was he crying? Could he really be? No. He wouldn't.

He was. 'I can't really say much.' He said. 'You have all of these amazing coaches who want you, and I know I don't really have a chance against them. But I would love to work with you. And I know that we could win.' Ricky leant back in his chair.

I had to choose someone. But when I had thought about this, I had thought that only one person would turn if I was lucky, not all four. Will wasn't really my style, but he was really nice. If I went with Rita, I could be with another girl, and we would have more of a connection the way that I saw it. Tom was super famous, and an experienced singer, and out of all of them, he would be the best to coach me to improve my voice. But then Ricky... I loved his band. He was who's team I had wanted to be on so much. He was always so sweet.

I knew I could only choose one. And this one person was my one chance of going somewhere.

'Thank you all so much.' I said, almost in tears. I still couldn't believe that I was stood here. 'But I think I would have to go with... Ricky.'

Ricky suddenly jumped out of his seat and onto the stage, and grabbed my hand to help me down the steps.
'Thank you.' He said to me. 'Thank you so much.' He gave me a hug and kissed me on my cheek. Of course, I had seen him do this to so many other people, but it just felt so great. I hugged Ricky Wilson!

Ricky grabbed hold of my hand again, and began walking me off.
'You were great.' He almost whispered. 'I would really like to get to know you, and we have a break between contestants for a bit now. Would you like to meet me in my dressing room so we could maybe talk?' He said.
He had just asked me to meet up with him. Oh my gosh. 'Sure.' I said, trying to keep most of the smile out of my voice.
'I'll make sure security knows then.' He said, then gave me a hug, and walked back.

I walked into the side room where my mum was, and we both practically screamed at each other.

I had made it. I was on the show. I was actually on The Voice. And I was on Ricky's team.