Chapter 10

Chapter 10

To say that the boys were surprised at our triumphant return would be a massive understatement. We arrived to find preparations ready for our funeral, and Chuck wailing in a corner.

We were greeted with wild enthusiasm by nearly everyone, except Gally who was mad we had left against Alby's orders. Alby, however, gave me a tight hug and mumbled, "I'll get you off this time, but never do that again, for shuck's sake?" I knew it was all going to be alright.

Minho and I were triumphantly carried on our ecstatic friends' backs to the medjack huts, where Clint and Jeff were waiting.

"Welcome back, conquering heroes," Clint teased.

"The antidote?" Jeff asked.

"Right. Newt, the antidote?" Minho asked.

"I... I thought you had it?"

Minho's face completely fell. I laughed long and hard.

"Got you! It's right here!" I held it up, the purple liquid seeming to dance in the sunlight.

"You dirty shuckface skank, when I get over there, I'll-"

"Not now, Minho, you can beat him up later. For now, let's get this into y/n," Jeff said, taking the syringe carefully out of the vial and hurrying inside.

Minho and I followed him, and my heart broke to see y/n on the bed. Their eyes were tightly closed, their fists were clenched, they were covered in sweat, and their fists were tied down.

"They were thrashing so much, we had to tie them down. I'm sorry, Newt," Clint said, his voice hushed.

I gulped. "Just fix it."

Jeff carefully injected the syringe into y/n's battered body. All their muscles went tight, and a high-pitched scream escaped their lips. Then they lay back, her breathing slow and her face relaxed.

"Are they dead?!" Minho asked Jeff, which did nothing to help my nerves.

Suddenly y/n gasped, sucking in air, and opened their eyes.

"Newt?"

"I'm here, y/n, I'm right here." I rushed over to them, taking them in my arms.

"You found the antidote," They mumbled weakly.

"Minho and I did, yes."

"You killed a Griever."

"Hey, it was a team effort!" Minho said, walking over.

Y/n looked up at him, then back at me. They had such beautiful eyes.

"Thank you," They mumbled.

"You're welcome," I replied, brushing a wisp of hair out of their eyes. They had such beautiful hair...

"How are you feeling?" Clint and Jeff asked.

"Fine. Great, actually." Y/n said, sitting up. "I have all my strength back... maybe more."

"You should still rest-"

"No, like, seriously, I feel like I could run a marathon. There's a whole bunch of caffeine in that antidote, along with other things. I'm so crazy awake now!"

I laughed and hugged y/n tightly.

"I'm so glad you're ok."

Y/n looked a little surprised but hugged me back.

"Are you ok, Newt?" They asked, "Why did you risk your life for me? You too, Minho?"

Minho smiled. "I risked my life for you because..."

I took a breath. This was it. From now on, y/n would be Minho's.

"Because I want answers. Newt did it because you're his soulmate, and he loves you."

I looked up sharply, and Minho winked at me. My face lit up, and I turned back to y/n with joy in my heart and a blush on my cheeks.

"You... are?"

"Yes. I had colors... my world was literally black and white until I looked into those beautiful eyes of yours... now I see just how beautiful everything is. Especially you."

Y/n flushed.

"Wow... well, not that it means anything, but I'm really glad my soulmate is you."

"It means a lot. Y/n... will you be my partner?"

"Yes, Newt. I will."

And that's when I kissed them. Well, it was more them kissing me. But it was beautiful all the same.

After that... oh, what's this button mean? I guess the battery on this tape recorder is running out. That's alright, new ones should be coming up in the box.

Oh no, Gally's yelling at some other kid now, and... oh, the box is coming up! That means new supplies and a new greenie. I hope this one doesn't shake things up quite as much as y/n did! Looks like it's a boy, dark hair, blue shirt... he's running! I guess I'll have to meet him now. I'd better wrap up.

After y/n got better, they realized that their memories of the outside world had faded into nothingness. Everyone was rightfully furious, having the hope of answers so forcefully ripped from them. All y/n could remember was that something was changing, very soon, and we all had to be satisfied with that.

Alby forgave Minho and me for going out at night but has sworn us all to secrecy. No greenie should know that Grievers can be killed, or that anyone can survive being out at night. We won't go out for another antidote; Alby decreed that it was far too dangerous. Y/n recovered fully and now works with me as a Trackhoe, having retired from being a Runner.

And as for the words on y/n's arm, I've decided to stop wondering who Thomas is, and what happens at my death. It will happen in time, and it will do me no good to worry about it. For now, I'm thankful to be here with y/n.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go meet the greenie and show him around. Nice looking chap... I have the strangest feeling that we're going to be great friends.

Until then, I-

BATTERY DEAD

END OF RECORDING