Chapter 8

Chapter 8

We stood for a moment, staring at the closed doors. Both of us knew that we had to turn around, that we had to hunt in the never-ending, twisting, rotating maze until we found a man-killing Griever, and then by some miracle kill it. Neither of us wanted to make the first step.

We waited until the last rays of the sun had vanished from the sky overhead, nearly hidden by the towering walls.

Minho lit the torch with a fire starter in his pack, and I clutched my spear tightly.

"We should get moving," Minho said, turning around.

The light from the fire cast strange shadows on the walls, making the ivy dangling down look like long, leafy monsters.

Using my spear as a walking stick, I followed Minho slowly through the maze. I'd been there before. It brought back a lot of horrible memories. I noticed that Minho steered us away from a certain part of the maze. I was grateful for that, for his help, and his friendship.

"Newt..."

I looked up from my thoughts and was surprised at how uncomfortable Minho looked.

"A griever? Already?" I asked.

"No, no," He reassured me, then hesitated. I'd never seen him this nervous. He was normally cool and collected. Now, he ran his fingers through his hair in anxiety.

"It's about y/n."

"Yes?" I prodded, walking faster to catch up with him.

"I... I know they're your soulmate..."

"Yes?"

"But... I mean..."

"Minho? What is it?"

Minho spun around suddenly, the torch illuminating the emotion in his eyes.

"I have feelings for y/n."

I froze.

"Oh..." I managed to squeak after a moment of horrifically awkward silence.

"Yeah." With a huff, Minho turned and continued walking through the maze.

"Um..."

To be honest, I was blindsided. I just assumed that since y/n was my soulmate, they and I would be together. I hadn't considered that someone else would have feelings for them, let alone my friend. What if y/n had feelings for Minho, too? Would they be together? But they're not soulmates!

"Minho-"

"No, forget it, Newt. I know y/n's your soulmate. I shouldn't have said anything."

I touched Minho's shoulder.

"I'm not forcing y/n into anything they don't want to do, Minho. If they care about you, then you two should be together. Let's save them and ask them."

"There's no need to even ask. They'll choose you, Newt, obviously. You two are soulmates."

"I... I didn't tell them."

"What?!" Minho exclaimed.

"I didn't tell them that I'm their soulmate."

"But surely, the colors?"

"They have a different thing than me... they can see colors already. They have my... my last words written on their arm."

"Woah... that's a little creepy."

"Yeah."

We continued into the maze for a moment, before Minho broke the silence.

"So... you wouldn't tell them that you're their soulmate... to give me a chance with them?"

"Yeah," I nodded.

"Really? You'd do that for me?"

"Of course, Minho. All I want is for y/n to be happy. And if they're happier with you than me... then so be it."

"Thank you, Newt."

I looked into Minho's eyes, smiling at his thanks.

But as I opened my mouth to reply, the griever attacked.