Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Minho took y/n into the maze before I got up the next morning. Which was, to be fair, unusual. I'm usually up long before the Runners. Something about y/n's arrival in the maze threw things off for me. I slept in late, when I rushed to get breakfast, Frypan was already cleaning up.

"You slept late." He observed.

"Yeah, and you bloody idiots let me sleep." I teased, digging into a plate Frypan had saved for me.

"We figured you deserved a break. Especially after finding out your soulmate is a stubborn shank."

"You heard about that?"

"You got your colors, Newt, and expected Alby to not tell everyone? He's so shucking proud of you, you'd think you'd solved the maze."

I laughed.

"I don't think they're stubborn, exactly. I just think they're scared. We all were, remember? When you first came up you wouldn't speak to anyone."

"That's different! They remember everything! Come on, Newt, you're their soulmate. Can't you convince them to tell you something?"

I shook my head. "I'm not going to pressure them. They're getting enough of that from the rest of you. Besides... they don't know that they're my soulmate."

"They don't know?" Frypan put down a dish he was drying. I shook my head.

"They have a different cue, not colors. My last words are written on their arm... do you know how strange that is? Seeing the last words, I'll ever say?"

"What are they?" Frypan asked, genuinely curious."

"Please, Tommy. Please. What does that even mean? Who is Tommy? Is he trying to kill me, am I begging for my life?"

"No clue. There's no Tommy's, Toms, or Thomas's in the Glade yet. We'll have to keep an eye on the new greenies."

I sat back, considering this. After a minute, Frypan asked, "Are you going to tell them?"

"That I'm their soulmate? Do you think I should?"

"I mean... I would want to know."

"But they've got enough to deal with right now."

"They're going to find out from someone, Newt. Might as well be you and not loudmouth Chuck."

I laughed again and Frypan joined me.

"You're right," I agreed, "I will tell them when they get back today. Meanwhile, you need some help with those dishes?"

I spent the rest of the day doing my regular work. Nothing special. Gally started screaming a Hank for bending a nail, but nothing other than that. Honestly, Gally's getting harder and harder to control. I dread the day a greenie comes up that Gally particularly doesn't like. It's only a matter of time someone will meet Gally's willpower and there will be an all-out war.

Anyway, towards the end of the day, I was standing with Alby, Clint, and Jeff. We were going over the dwindling bandage supply, the slicers had been especially clumsy that week when we heard shouting coming from the maze.

Clint and Jeff were the first over, with guys from all over the Glade following to see what the commotion was about.

We reached the doors and peered into the shadowy passage. For a moment, we saw nothing. Then, out of the darkness, Minho ran, half-dragging, half-carrying a large dark blob. As he got closer, I could make out who it was. Y/n!

Creakkkkkk

The doors moaned as they began to shut. Shuck! I hadn't noticed how late it had gotten; the sun was already going down.

"Come on, Minho! You can make it!"

The boys around me started shouting as the doors began slowly closing.

Y/n had fallen from Minho's shoulders and he was pulling them desperately towards the door, a look of terror on his face.

"They're not going to make it," I mumbled, as the realization struck me.

The doors kept closing, slowly, slowly, but not slowly enough.

Y/n's form reached a hand up, and Minho took it. He dragged them to their feet, pulled their arm over his shoulder, and took off running to the doors.

"Come on, Minho!"

"You can make it, hurry!"

"Run, Minho, run!"

And just as the doors closed beyond passing, Minho and y/n squeezed sideways through them and collapsed on the Glade floor. 

(Merry Christmas, ya'll :)