Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The Griever's tail whipped out, slicing the spot where Minho had stood not a second before. At the last moment, he turned, spinning around and shoving the lighted torch in the Griever's eyes.

It recoiled with an unearthly screech, and Minho screamed, "Run!"

We took off down the passage, me with my lop-sided run and Minho with his practiced full-speed gait. He was ahead of me quickly. He stopped at the end of a passage, beckoning me to him.

Meanwhile, the Griever had gotten up and was speeding after me. I turned quickly, thrusting my spear into the Griever's face. It wailed in agony, its tail smacking my stomach. I was thrown on my back, gasping for air.

The Griever took the opportunity and charged me. It was right on top of me! I could see it, its hideous, drooping face, saliva dripping off its fangs, the tail, the massive tail with the poisonous tip. I closed my eyes as the tail came down.

"Newt! Newt, get up!"

I opened my eyes, and Minho was there, holding the tail up with my spear in one hand, and fighting off the Griever's other legs with the torch.

I leaped to my feet, grabbing the torch from Minho's hand. I shoved it as close as I could get to the Griever's eyes as I could, and the creature howled.

As I did that, Minho drove the spear deep into the body.

The Griever backed up, trying to get away from the spear and the torch. We followed it, keeping up our attack.

Then it took one step too far.

The spinning, twisting, changing walls closed suddenly, cutting the Griever neatly in half.

I held my torch close to the remains, and the whole thing lit up like a stick of dynamite. All the bones, poison, blood, teeth, and gore burned away in a smelly flame while lighting up the jovial faces of Minho and me. Once the fire had consumed nearly the entire Griever, it went out, leaving one very small vial in the center, perfectly intact.

I reached over and held it up.

In the center of the vial was a syringe filled with purple liquid.

"The antidote," Minho breathed.

"The antidote," I mumbled, tears forming in my eyes.

We had done it.