Chapter 8: "Let make this straight, I don't like you"

Hayden above

Mikkeli POV

The more I think about it, the more I don't believe it. I'm sure something just isn't right.

 I think that something is coming, that there is just a bigger picture, and right now, I can't see it. My wolf is restless and out for blood, so I spend most of my time in the training area trying to blow out my steam. The last three days brought us some answers but also as many questions. Tony did his job greatly, and Steve told us what he knew. The only problem was he didn't know much.

He was paid to memorize the scent of James and Jason. That day when he was with others on our territory, his task was to find them, but he didn't know for what purpose. The problem was the guy who was talking with their client died during the attack.

Hayden went back to Maddie's hometown and took care of finding some info about the Simon guy. He, of course, confronted Simon and left him after this half-dead on the street. 

Simon testified that someone was helping him with the money for about two months in exchange for information about Maddie and her husband. That he invited Steve to the gathering because he was asked for that and that he had never met the guy, he could only give us his number, which of course, turned out to be a dead end. 

But it's a solid suspicion that Maddie's death wasn't an accident, especially since the hit and run had happened in a secluded area with no witness and the preparator wasn't identified, which made Hayden furious. After he came back home, I caught him spending half of the night looking at sleeping boys and Rosie and Hannah. 

The boys seem OK. They also spend some time with me on the training grounds and take their practice pretty seriously. Thank goodness Hannah hasn't pulled any stupid pranks and has listened to me spending most of the time in the house with Kyle, occasionally Gideon and Becca, and Tony and his family.

And right now, I'm sitting with Hayden, Rose, and of course, the feisty one in my office, telling her the results of our investigation.

"Do you think my parents were murdered?" she asks, looking at Hayden.

"I don't have any solid proof yet, but I think it can't be a coincidence. I think during the gathering, Maddie probably detected Steve's wolf. That's why you came back so quickly to the house. Two days later, they're already dead, and two weeks later, Steve is on our pack territory with a mission to find your brothers. I don't believe in coincidence."

"You do realize it has to do something with you. No one was interested in my brothers for 11 years, and suddenly my parents are dead, and we are targeted here at your territory," she says slowly.

I swear to Goddess, if she intends to blame my brother for this, I will spank her, I would treat her as the spoiled child she is.

"I'm not saying it's your fault, but it has to do something with them being your sons. Do you have any enemies?"

Well, I guess no spanking today, I think, hearing her talk.

"I have plenty of enemies," Hayden responds, "but none of them knows about boys. That's why I'm afraid whoever staged this must be someone pretty close. Hannah, I know I promised you that you could go back home, but that was before we realized that someone knew about boys' heritage. I think it would be better if you stayed here permanently. Even if we find who is a threat to them, I think sooner or later, more people will figure out the truth. Especially after Jason's wolf manifestation, my pack members aren't stupid; they may understand that Jason must be the alpha's blood...."

"And because you spend so much time with them, they will soon add two to two," she finishes, sighing.

"Stop pampering her," I feel I'm losing my patience "you will stay here because it's safe; you will become a member of this pack because it's good for your brothers and it's good for your sister. You don't want to stay. Fine, you are free to go, but boys and your sister belong here with their kin!"