Chapter Twelve: Sleepover

Start from the beginning

Angelo was in my house.
I gulped as the heat in my cheeks faded, Hale couldn't find out about this. But where would Angelo stay? He had no home, no family, he didn't even have a ticket back to New York.

With worry still eating at my heart, I brought the steaming mugs of cocoa out of the kitchen and into the living room where Angelo was sitting on the carpet in my Dad's old black sweater and penguin pajama pants. I chose the darkest clothes I could find.

I thought he was staring blankly into space until I followed his gaze and saw Moo on the opposite side of the living room, licking herself.

"Her name is Moo," I said quietly. I just thought it was best to be quiet.

"That's actually perfect" he nodded, his expression the same as always. Passive, straight, deadpan. I couldn't even tell if he was as heartbroken as I was.

I gave him his hot drink and sat on the floor in front of him but slightly to the side so I didn't interrupt his inspection of my cat.

The rain had let up a little bit, now slowed to a drizzle.

"I'm sorry, Angelo" I said, resting my chin on my drawn up knees. "I never should have said anything."

"I got to finally see you stand up to Hale." He said, turning to look at me. "And for my sake even. I'm not sorry you did that"

"I didn't stand up to him, I was begging"

"But you did something anyways"

"It didn't work! Where are you going to live?!" I snapped and his lips parted in slight surprise. "I'll ask my Dad if you could stay with us, we'll get after school jobs and try to support with the bills, I don't know, we could just work something out, there's no way I'm leaving you to just...!"

"That's freaking hot" Angelo murmured and I paused instantly, feeling my ears go warm.

"Wh-what is?"

"I don't know, you, I guess. Or the cocoa."

"What?" I was effectively confused.

"Look, Violet, don't worry about me." He took a sip from his mug and shrugged, "the Franceses are a messed up group of people, coming all the way from New York to live with them is madness but coming without a back up plan?"

I gazed up at him with wide eyes, "you mean you're not going into the streets?"

He shook his head, humor dancing in his grey stare, "I'm guessing Hale already told you I don't have any parents."

"Said so this morning..." I admitted, looking down.

"I thought I recognized that pitiful look" He chuckled dryly.

That just ignited a spark of unwelcome anger. "Well, maybe I'm just sorry I caused this problem!"

"Yeah but you won't feel that bad if they were one phone call away" He leaned back on the couch and I sighed. He was right, of course he was. "But don't worry, I've got friends in high places, they'll be more than happy to help me out."

I sighed, a relieved smile appearing on my face. "Thank God, I -I feel much better knowing that. But please, come back anytime you want, you're always welcome here."

"Really?" He asked softly, tilting his head to rest on the sofa, turning towards me in the process. "We both know I'm not meant to be here."

Through my side vision, I saw Moo get up and walk away now that he wasn't facing her anymore.
I have his attention now, in your face, kitty!

"Then why did you come?" I asked.

"Your house is closest," He replied immediately, it was kind of automatic like he'd practiced saying that but then he sighed and kept talking. "Plus it just felt right, I know you lied when you said you didn't want to see me. Thought I'd check up on you."