Where to Break Chapters

Lengths

First, there are no rules saying your chapter has to be so many pages long or so many pages short. If you want a chapter with only 100 words, go for it. If you want some long a*s Stephanie Meyer chapters, no one's stopping you.

Still, if you're going to go for the short chapter, you should leave it off at a cliffhanger, especially if it's an ongoing story on Wattpad. This is because, if you're writing one small chapter a week, people might lose interest. If you leave off at a cliffhanger, you force your reader to return to find out what happens next. Also, if you prefer small chapters, I would post at least three in a row so as not to irritate your readers.

Moving on. Long chapters. These can be tedious but it's perfectly fine (Also, if you're writing really long chapters on Wattpad, you get less votes/ views). But like I said, no one is going to tell you your chapters are too long.

Don't force a chapter to be longer or shorter than it should be. Let it happen naturally. Its awkward when chapters are broken off mid sentence and pick up with the conversation in the next page.

Where to begin and end a chapter

Chapters are good for time jumping. In other words, instead of writing every hour from the beginning of the day to the end, you just skip forward. One chapter ends at the beginning to the day when your heros depart from their homes to pursue their quest, the other starts after noon, when they've been walking for a few hours.

Another use for chapter breaks is point of view switching. Please. Do your readers and yourself a favor and do not switch point of views mid-chapter. I've seen it done. It looks sloppy and can be confusing. Don't feel bad if you've done this (no one's perfect). But, if you're going to switch point of views, do it with a new chapter. The character's name can be the title of the chapter. It could be a subheading. If you're doing it on Wattpad, you could just put a little dash(-) next to the chapter title and enter the character's name.

Spacing

This isn't a must, but I recommend spacing your point of views out if you have more than one. For example, if your story follows two different groups of people, go back and forth between them. But this isn't something that will detriment the value of your work if you don't do it. It's just one way of doing things.