Fight Scenes

Fight scenes can be tricky, especially if you haven't seen a lot of action movies or read a lot of battles. Here are some pointers on how to start writing a fight scene, and some fight moves you can use to aid you with your figurative brawl.  

When writing a fight scene, it helps to list your fighters and their weapons/assets. Example:

Micheal: sword, boot knife, wings/flight

Henry: Revolver, whip, pocket knife

It helps to list what the character can do with those assets. List examples of fight choices (use whip to wrap around ankle, then pull back, knocking Micheal on his back). When writing fight scenes, I will go back and forth listing one character's attack, the other's counter, and so on. A lot of times, I find that fight scenes write themselves. If you start with Micheal swinging his sword, Henry will duck. Now Henry is low to the ground and can grab Micheal's ankle. Then Micheal falls back and has to roll to the side to avoid Henry's revolver, etc.

Also, remember that both sides are going to be hitting as hard as they can. Even if you're voting for one character to win, you can't let the other guy lose easily (it depends on the circumstances, too. Like if one is better with a certain weapon that they're both using. But still, both parties are gonna try hard to survive). Both have a goal that is opposite of each other's, and both want to live.

Writing fight scenes tend to be easier to write from the 3rd person point of view because you can be unbiased and notice what both fighters are doing with more depth. It's also fun to leave fights at cliffhangers and continue it in a chapter or two to make your reader sweat a little. >:)

Here are some examples of fight moves:

Hand to Hand Combat

 - face punch

- uppercut

- stomp on foot

- knee to the gut/groin

- elbow jab to the nose/gut

- Dislocate kneecap (stomp down on kneecap)

- gut-punch

- eye poke

- shin kick

- leg sweep (trip opponent)

- groin kick

- mouth/throat punch

- nail scratch

Sword Moves and Counters

-Stab forward/Sidestep

- High slash/Duck

- Swing/Swing down, deflect

- Thrust forward/jump back

- Underhand stab/intercept

- Fake up,  slash down

------------------------------------------

That's all I can think of for now. If you think of anything else I should add, comment it, and I'll add it to the list. Thanks for reading!