"I brought Bonnie and Jeremy to the Martin House. Now that we know where the witches were burned, all we need is for Bonnie to find the right spell so that she can channel all their power. This place is full of witchy spellbooks, shouldn't take much longer for us to pack everything up."

"Get back as soon as you can. We all have to talk about what Isobel told us. Tell Gilbert Junior and Abracadabra Bennett to hurry it up."

"Don't nickname, it's my thing."

Maddy mocked, "Don't nickname, it's my thing."

"You're in a good mood," Damon observed. "Mind telling me why?"

"Ah, I had this very beautiful fantasy of sawing John Gilbert in half. It was really wonderful to be honest. Phew, you should have seen how offended he looked when I said I don't know how he procreated with his small dick."

"No way, you did not tell him that."

"Mhm yes I did."

"I would have paid to see his face. I'd settle for the memory if you wanna do me a favor."

"With the way you've been treating me since the Elijah thing, I'm not letting you into my mind. Also, when the hell are you gonna apologize to Caroline?"

"Damn it, Lils, I'll do it soon. I'm not... I'm not good with apologies. I don't know how to put into proper words that I feel guilty. Because if I feel guilty, then it means I care, and—"

"—and when people see good, they expect good," she said. "I know, this isn't the first time you tell me that. But here's the thing, Damon, you did something so disgusting and wrong that you have no right to complain about this guilt you feel. I hope you feel the worst kind of guilt for having done that to her. There's nothing wrong with caring. I need you to be a decent person. I'm not asking you to be a saint, because I can't claim to be a perfect little angel or anything. But there are boundaries, lines that you do not, under any circumstance, cross. Murder whoever you want, but if you ever put your hands on someone without their consent again, I'm not going to hesitate to rip your head off myself."

Damon relented. "I'll talk to Caroline today, Mads. I swear."

"You'd better."

She hung up, having to massage her hand from how tightly she'd been gripping her phone without realizing it.

Stefan and Elena arrived shortly before Damon did, and the group gathered in the library to discuss their situation.

"Do you really think that Isobel's telling the truth that word's gotten out about the doppelgänger?" asked Elena.

"Look," said Stefan, "I don't trust a word that she says, but I think we'd be stupid to ignore the warning."

"You know, you should just stay here," said Damon. "It's better for us to keep an eye on you."

Stefan raised a brow. "What, in the house that any vampire can enter? No. Her house is safer."

"I'm not going to go live at the Gilbert House just to babysit her," said Maddy. She then scrunched her nose. "Well, I'd be okay living there if it meant I had permission to rip John's heart out."

Elena forced a laugh. "If I'm going to have three bodyguards, then one of you needs to come with me to the Lockwood luncheon."

Stefan raised his hand. "That'd be me."

"Not me," said Damon. "I have witch stuff to attend to with Bonnie."

Elena was curious. "Does that mean that you're taking her to the..."