Chapter 2 - Hyrule Field

(Zelda's POV)

I throw my leg over my horse. I pat her back and we start trotting. Link eventually appears behind us and a small idle chit chat initiates. Half an hour passes and we stop at a small clearing overlooking Hyrule, the castle sitting in the distance. I pull out my sheikah slate for a quick photo. Link peers over my shoulder, slinging both his arms over both of my shoulders. His cheek to mine. I move away quickly, not because I didn't like it. No, because I didn't want to lose control. I glance down at my Sheikah slate. "Alright, back to business," I demand, he glances at me then stares out into the distance.

 "We'll make our way to Zora's Domain." I say, "Divine Beast Vah Ruta ... Looks like it stopped working, Let's investigate the situation". A small pocket of dread washes over me.

 "Mipha's father... I believe he would like to hear more about her. The least we can do is visit him and offer him some closure," A heavyweight fell on my heart. 

It's still a burden to wake up every morning knowing they gave their lives for a cause we stopped so many years after. Daruk, Revali, Mipha, Urbrosa and... My father, all didn't deserve their fate and I've got to live with that till I die. A beat passes and I see Link look down. I know he's thinking the same thing as me. 

I know he struggles to sleep at night, I can hear the constant movement and clatter of things from his room. I try to lift the conversation. 

"Although Ganon is gone, for now, there is still so much more for us to do," I say softly letting those words wash over me. The work is yet to be done. "And so many painful memories that we must bear," I continue. The wind whistled past us. It hits me. The world has moved on from them but I still can't. "I believe in my heart, that if all of us work together, we can restore Hyrule to its former glory." I utter. I need to do it for them. For Urbrosa. For Father. For... Mother. I feel the sudden pang of motivation. "Perhaps... Even beyond," I remark, "But... It must start with us,". I let myself have one final glance at the beautiful landscape. 

"Let's be off," I exclaim turning my heel on the view.

 I walk off strongly but I don't feel him by my side. I don't even feel the voice anymore. I don't feel the sword. I softly sigh. The burden I put that boy through all those years. His success was never my failure, it was always a gift but I couldn't even celebrate it with him. I pause. 

" I can no longer hear the voice inside the sword," I say, " I suppose it would make sense if my power had dwindled over the past 100 years,". I turn around and I'm welcomed by his small smile and I can't help but smile back. 

"I'm surprised to admit it... But I can accept that" I laugh and he breaks out into the biggest smile I've seen. I feel such comfort knowing that he's still with me. My faithful knight, my companion and most importantly... A friend. A friend? Who knows? That boy is a mystery. He stops to stare at me, almost as if he's savouring this moment. He runs to occupy the spot next to me. " I'm surprised you can accept it too," He sniggers. 

"Oh, Link... You ruined the moment," I can't help but laugh as well. We climb back onto our horses and ride towards Zora's domain.